Earnings potential: reality check

Hello, I was hoping to pick your collective brains for a moment.

I am considering entering the field of freelance web design, as a way to supplement my income. The plan is to get a part time job, most likely a low-paying customer service type job, and earn extra cash on the side slinging code. Looking at my budget, I’ll need to make about $1000 per month from webdev. My question to you all is this: is this feasible?

Of course, I expect lean and mean times in the beginning, but is it reasonable for me to expect to be able to generate this type of income from 20-30 hours of work per week, on average?

Thanks very much for your time.

Anything is possible if you have the sales skills to successfully sell your services.

Lots of people can produce websites, but not many of these people have the ability to sell them to paying customers. That’s a whole different ball game. So learning some effective, professional sales skills should be a priority.

Or, putting it another way, if you can’t or don’t want to engage wholeheartedly in full-on sales activity then life as a freelancer will be difficult. The two things are inextricably linked.

Without sales skills, even your very modest income target will be impossible.:slight_smile:

Paul