eCommerce conversion rates

I run a few different eCommerce sites in a couple of different industries and im looking for something to compare my conversion rate to. That way i can know how much i can possibly improve to or if im better spending more time in other areas or continuing with CRO.

So, for those who are running eCommerce stores, what are you currently converting at % wise and what do you think is a reasonable conversion rate range?

I have read in a few places that 2% is a good “average” for conversion rate.

If you have a site that has a geographically restricted audience, be sure to set your Google Analytics to only figure your conversion rate based on visitors from your targeted region…

One of my friend running ecommerce website gained conversion rate upto 10%, it is depends upon industry you are working in.

Here’s an interesting thought. If you increase your conversion rate to 4% you double sales, even if your traffic doesn’t change. This is something that’s often missed by SEOers - getting a site to rank higher is usually not enough to actually really help the business by itself. You need a mix of conversion increase and SEO increase.

Hi,

Generally Its 2% only. but If you improve your cart smart then you can reach upto 5%… higher end…

You can see best article for it @ http://www.instantshift.com/2013/05/14/landing-page-trivia-which-will-give-you-a-massive-conversion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+iShift+(instantShift)

It totally depends upon the products and services that you are selling on the internet. Some products are very common on the internet and people search them more on the internet or we can say that there search volume is more so the conversion rate will be more. On the other hand if the product is not so popular and have less search queries, then the conversion rate will be low.

Hi grace243 ,

Its not like that. when we are saying % then it will be ratio… suppose for Particular shirts brand 20k people come to website and for mobile accessories its 50k then when we say 2% then 400 sales for shirts and 1000 accessories. possible…

Ecommerce conversion rate depend on keeping the site attractive and easy navigation, showcasing the products, browser friendly site, etc.

I agree that 1-3% is ‘normal’ and the leaning towards 3 side is good. Some sites get 10% or more but they are usually specialty sites that don’t have much competition.

Tell us about your business… One with the similar business in this forum may be able to share more relevant conversion rate with you to compare. Otherwise as other said it stays between 1% - 3% but what if your niche has conversion rate of 3%? would you be satisfied on 1% general rate? No you will need to improve it.

It helps to increase conversions if check out is shorter and the site is faster. Many people leave shopping cart without finishing a purchase if operation speed is too slow or check out is much longer then 4-5 clicks (operations). The best checkout takes 2-3 clicks to finish it.

I have raised my conversion rate on 2% after I had set the option to monitor abandoned carts and taken some measures. It turned out that the problem was in long checkout system. I made 2 steps instead of 6 and it helped. So, pay attention to this as well.

Yep. Also theres a big problem with trust/ You webstore MUST be trustworthy looking. Place trust saels as close to your customer as possible during check out process.

It’s depends on niche. If you selling cheap toys for $1-5 you should have about 10% conversion rate. But if you selling yachts, 0.01% conversion rates will be good.
And you should not forget about average visitor costs.

If you site is serving to business, the most possible conversion rate is 2% and if it is serving to customers then the possible conversion rate may vary from 15 to 25% depend on the industry.