Editing theme in localhost

I’m using my local host ( xampp ) and not sure what I’ve done wrong but I want to start from scrtach. So I deactivated the theme and deleted and re-uploaded it but upon doing so it is still the same so what do I do to start from scratch?

Much appreciation

When you say “uploaded” … do you mean you just deleted the local files and replaced those files with the original ones? (There’s no uploading when you are working locally.)

It was all done in the wp-admin section. I went to appearance>themes, activated another theme so that I could delete the theme, then went to appearance>themes, clicked the install theme tab then the upload link under that and uploaded the theme zip file from my folder.

uploaded the theme zip file from my folder.

I’m pretty sure if you used the ACP link instead of copy/paste into the theme folder, the zip file is from the WordPress “extend” repository and not your modified file(s).

oh, not sure what you mean there but do you mean I need to go to my files on my c files and delete the theme there and re upload it via the wp-admin?

The way I do themes for localhost is:
go to the extend repository in my browser and download to my download folder
unzip and copy the theme’s folders/files to my localhost theme folder
start localhost server
use browser to go to localhost and log in
activate the theme

If I need to tweak it, I work on the files in the localhost theme’s folder keeping the original download for backup so I don’t need to download it again.

I almost exclusively do edits in notepad++ not the ACP edit panel. I imagine it works OK, but I’m more comfortable working in notepad++

And I almost exclusively work with files through my browser and FTP not the WordPress auto install/update feature. I guess it does work OK, just that I’m old fashioned or something.

WordPress has a lot of features that are great for non-techy types, but I know how to do things “the hard way” and don’t mind doing things in ways that others might think take more effort than needed.