Elgg vs. Ning vs. Dolphin/Ray

I used both elgg and dolphin
dolphin I like much

dolphin used to sell dating/community software couple years back. Later they decided to make it free (kinda follow friendster at the time) and put banner ads. Ning for sure is easier to use.

As for me, Elgg is really one of the best in social network development. We have experience in work with Elgg. And during the recent
time we are working on development of social network for medical workers on Elgg framework.
Description of this social network you can find at web100. com. ua

is elgg free, how does it work?

if I want to use it for a social networking for one of my sites? what’s the process?

can I make this script my own?

Yup, that is free.

It is “social CMS” - you can look at it at Elgg’s site community. elgg. org or at our’s integration example lab1. web100. com.ua

As for process - that is separate script (PHP, mySQL), you can install it “shoulder-to-shoulder” to your site and change theme, so new pages will resemble your site.
If you already have user accounts on your site - you may need to integrate login system of two scripts.
There is no ready solutions. We can help here.

so elgg’s get’s uploaded all into your site and allows your site to have that social networking functionality for free. I checked out their site, a bit confusing… just need to spend more time on it reading i’m sure.

how do the upgrades work? when elgg upgrades does it automatically upgrade on your site?

I will have to check out your site as well.

thanks

I like Elgg. I using it built a social networking.

Some other social network platform alternatives: