Email hosting

We’re moving webspace for a client, incl email, from one ordinary Linux/cPanel account to another, with a different provider.

They’re having issues sometimes with sending emails while on the go. Surely, this will be down mostly to settings and connectivity on the device. However, I wonder is there any case for hosting the email elsewhere e.g. Gmail?

Any thought and recommendations? Many thanks.

If you’re using SMTP email (as would be the case if you normally use a desktop client such as Outlook), then the mail is being sent via your Internet service provider. It has nothing to do with the web hosting company. (That’s true even if you receive your mail via the hosting company.) So, when sending email from a mobile device, the outgoing mail has to be configured for the service that’s providing the mobile internet service.

If you’re having problems doing that, then switching to a web-based email system, such as GMail, will solve the problem.

On the other hand, you will then have to use GMail or whatever for all your email, which means changing your email addresses, which is a hassle. Alternatively, you could just use GMail for outgoing mail when on the road, but then you risk confusing the mail recipients.

Personally, I would try to solve the exisitng problem rather than switch email system. But, it any case, changing your web hosting company won’t make any difference.

Mike

The web hosts have also provided SMTP access. So, it doesn’t necessarily seem to be down to ISP (although probably in most cases). As far as I know you can switch your email business to Gmail completely by pointing your MX delivery there and keeping your email addresses.

Any further thoughts?

I am pushing more and more of my clients towards Google Apps for Business for email, its lovely! Really easy to set-up and removes allot of the support aspect. If you go down the route of Google you can also look towards gaining Google Certification which can be used as a selling point since everyone has heard of Google. It also saves on storage space since I find that allot my clients dont understand the concept of emails stored on server soon mounts up (not through lack of trying to explain).

Resellerclub (through its resellers) is selling ‘email hosting’.
It is quite cheap and very comfortable.
As well as there is no such limit like a particular number of emails per hour or so.

Good luck.

Have you tried looking at Exchange Servers? I use them with my domain and get pushed email straight to my iPhone and Blackberry.