Encoding Issues

I’m using fopen and fwrite to edit the .htaccess file in wordpress. Although it works fine I have a user complaining that the encoding has been changed from us-ascii to ISO-8859. Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

One thing you can try is overwriting the content type header using PHP’s header() function, i have personally never seen it used like this before but it might be worth a shot.

<?php

// Overwrite the content-type using a header statement
header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii');

// Your fopen/fwrite code here....

?>

Thanks Sgt. I had been thinking of that, however the code in question is a Wordpress plugin and the user is concerned with how the file is actually saved. I wouldn’t think this would fix the matter…

Why not force a blanket encoding via .htaccess?

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

I must admit, I’m not entirely sure what your issue is though. If it’s the contents of the file, can you not utf8_encode the string prior to writing it?

Off Topic:

Happy Birthday. :slight_smile:

Thanks Anthony, I’m not entirely sure of the clients issue myself. The script uses fopen and fwrite to add lines to the .htaccess in a wordpress install. He’s been complaining to me that after the write his file changes in the filesystem from us-ascii to 8859-iso. Personally I can’t see what the issue is if it is being served up by apache without problems, but as I promised him I’m trying to see if I can figure out anymore. Perhaps there is an aspect of the inner workings of fopen that I’m missing.

I don’t think fwrite and such are encoding aware, nor dependent. You could however, try setting [fphp]mb_internal_encoding[/fphp] to see if that helps.

Other than that, I’m stumped.

Good suggestion. I’ll take a look. Thanks!