Ergonomics: Consider or Ignore?

Wow! I like the sound of ballroom dancing and running around in circles! :lol: That would be interesting!

I should really get into a similar routine myself I guess. Carry on doing my stretches and movement exercises, do some more walking, sign-up to the gym is what I’ve been wanting to do for a while but we’ll see and I can play with the pup we’ve got now. I’ve got plenty I can do - It’s just doing it really.

And running around in circles!

Yh I know the desks you mean! It makes you wonder sometimes how they thought them shelves and blocks would be helpful / comfortable for the person sitting at that desk! :eek:

What, the one about my tutor picking my bag up for me? Is it perhaps because your a teacher yourself :p? I hope it was…Because if you was laughing at my inability to pick my bag up…Well well well…:mad:

I wish I was indescructable! Indeed a comfortable chair that provides good back support is crucial for everyone, unfortunately these college chairs are terrible for my back! My home desk chair is fine but I could definitely do with something more ergonomic and fitting to my back.

Wow! Sounds very nice and good of them! I mean, I guess they’d have to do it of course for health and safety, but all the stories I hear of corporates are nasty ones like they’re some very bad place! This makes it sound like they care about their employees…Or perhaps not losing money!

You’re epic :lol: That would be just so cool! Haha.

Is that…Scooby-Doo :D?

Tut tut! :nono:

I’ll have to look that up, I’ve heard of them core strength exercises before for things like parkour. Thanks!

Andrew Cooper

Absolutely. It’s a shame that for some people it has to get to the situation where they experience discomfort and develop some of these health issues regarding computer ergonomics but at least most of them are reversible - At an early stage I guess.

The problem that I have with sitting with better posture is that after a short period (usually no more than 15 minutes!) of sitting with good posture I’ll end up slouching again into a much more comfortable position that isn’t good posture at all! Again, I think it’s an issue with my chair just being bog standard. I’ll have to look for a decent chair.

Terry, this sounds like something every school / college / university should be doing for their students or increasing the amount of physical education that they do. I’d prefer the ergonomic initiative though! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the helpful information nuala! I’m sure I’ve read somewhere though that using jelly wrist pads are actually worse for you though! :eek: :nono: I guess if you really want to have a bulletproof ergonomic workstation you’ll need to invest money into ergonomic equipment and furniture, invest time into good practice for ergonomics and also invest time and energy into exercising away from the computer.

When you think about it, being an IT professional comes with a lot of potential health and safety hazards and ends up just as hazardous as any other job! Sheesh!

I’ve always cared about ergonomics personally, I’m just no good at implementing it myself! :frowning:

Wow - You’re tellin’ me! And I agree regarding ergonomics being an aspect of Web Accessibility.

I’ve noticed one thing in this thread though - Everyone who mentions their eyes have also added that they believe it is natural ageing or something else rather than it being a computer ergonomics issue. I’m not saying what it was, I don’t have a clue! But are you there about that? Who’re you trying to convince? :stuck_out_tongue: On that issue - Has anyone here ever had any eyesight problems that have been directly from the prolonged usage of a computer?

I don’t have the back pain now, despite now taking the anti-inflammatory tablets. The reason being is because as I said I don’t get it regularly / often. It may only be every few months and only last for up to 5 hours. I only had it that particular day and it was the worst its been since I’ve had the problem, but I’ve been fine and dandy since! I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out on my back though and getting into a routine of exercises and good posture. :slight_smile:

Andrew Cooper

Has anyone here ever had any eyesight problems that have been directly from the prolonged usage of a computer?

Only when I Gimp, strangely. I must stare harder when I’m drawing??? My eyes will hurt the rest of the day if I do several hours of Gimp.

When you Gimp :p:lol:

My eyes sting when I’m doing graphics stuff in Adobe Photoshop (and when I occassionally use GIMP) because I get so close to the screen and stare for so long at one specific part whilst zoome in at 3000%! :eek: I like things to be pixel-perfect…When I’m actually able to attempt something graphical! Obviously that isn’t good for my eyes permanently, but I don’t do it often anyway, if I was a professional graphic designer, maybe I’d have problems staring at tiny pixels for so long!

Andrew Cooper

Yes I also do a lot of zoomed-in pixel work. I’ve considered (but quickly threw the idea away) of getting one of those funky jewelers’ monicals. : )

I often think that too, ordinarily I don’t go for desks like that because of that whole issue but this was an old desk I had, probably my very first computer desk actually - I rooted it out because of the way I changed my room layout! But lesson learned anyways, I’m mobile now with my laptop so the leg pain is practically non existent now thank god!

I was laughing at the waking up when u thought u had a broken neck, I know I shouldn’t be laughing at that but it was how you said it and I was picturing the scene and I found it awful funny :lol: but yeah of course it’s not to be laughed at… I laugh at inappropriate things what can I say :shifty:

[B][I]Has anyone here ever had any eyesight problems that have been directly from the prolonged usage of a computer?

[/I][/B]I used to wear glasses when I was around 14 or so, at this time I was also using computers - well over time and attending eyesight appointments my eyesight became stronger and I no longer needed to wear glasses! Even now to this day (at 29 yrs old) I use the computer for hours on a daily basis and I still don’t need glasses at all - my eyesight is extremely good, whether its down to a good diet or not or perhaps proper lighting I don’t know but computers don’t affect my eyesight at all! :slight_smile:

I have.

You’re just not spending enough time at it to be affected. I suggest you keep it that way. :lol:

:scratch: Are you kidding me? I spend like 11hrs on the computer each day and on some occasions more than that! :shifty:

Exactly - not enough. :smiley:

Really?? How long are you spending on each day? 24! ? :eek2:

Maybe he’s got more years of 12+ hours a day than you? : )

Yes. :cool:

Maybe not more, but I can bet it’s more days in a row. :smiley:

Well, you guys… I can assure you I have put in lots and lots of time online - hell even all nighters, day merged with night a good few times :lol: but I was alot younger back then creak - seriously though, the only complaint I’ve had is either related to my desk being awkward to sit at or my chair hurting my back/posture - other than that I’m lucky enough to have not had any serious problems!

I was the same too - have felt no effect whatsoever, and I did spend long hours at the computer since I was 14 or so. The only thing that has changed are even longer hours and major lack of breaks. It also correlates to me getting my first laptop which meant my own computer available 24/7, as I had to share one before (which allowed me to get much needed breaks). Also to finishing my studies, which meant I could now spend all 24 hours at it if I wanted to, and believe me, I do want to :lol:

I’ve never gotten eye problems from looking at computer screens either… and I spend anywhere up to 20 hours a day on the computer (I’m an insomniac who could easily clock 72 hour runs with 6 hours sleep). I think these days LCD screens have become much “nicer” to your eyes than CRT’s and thereby the old issue of damaging your eyes isn’t as much if an issue as it used to be. Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve been clocking up those time-frames for a long time! :slight_smile:

Try doing core strength exercises, i paid more attention on my math

That’s the thing Saul - it’s way too accessible nowadays to get online, obviously it’s a good thing to us net nerds but overall I’m suspecting some damage in the long run - I’m on my laptop now at the moment, but I’m sitting at the dining room table rather than plonked on the couch because I find that it’s too uncomfortable plus im constantly looking down at it all the time! My neck aches after a while, plus with the amount of time I’d spend online it would probably explode from overheating on my lap :lol:

@Alex - I’ve only started using the LCD monitor as of like 3 years ago before that it was the CRT’s back until I was 12/13! Plus the very first one had a flicker, the 2nd went b+w and sometimes had a green tinge to it :lol: I’m really surprised I’ve never had an eye problems!

I’m pretty certain it’s due to consistency and serious lack of breaks over the years.

Also, it may be largely due to me being prone to nearsightedness. If you’re prone to farsightedness perhaps it may even have a positive effect. :shifty: Total speculation.

so this has now turned into a competition of “who spend most time in front of a computer”. you guys are so cool :smoke: :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway, i was down in only 5% eyesight before my last eye surgery, and i dont think spending up to 2-3 days in front of a computer helped me :stuck_out_tongue:

now i don’t spend so many hours in front of the computer as i used to do, i also have other things to fill my day with. like things to do, people to meet and dogs to walk… :stuck_out_tongue:

so Saul, just how close do u have ur face from the screen if ur shortsighted?

crazy - we’re still on topic actually! It’s still an ergonomic issue :rolleyes: What about those wrist rest thingies for both keyboard and mouse mats - they bug the hell out of me, they are so uncomfortable! Anyone else ever use them or like them for that matter! :nono: