Error message - unrecognized file format .mdb in Microsoft Access

I gave the error message on above yesterday evening on my MS Access 2013.
I even tried to follow the repair steps (create a new file and use the “compact and repair” tool. and all I keep getting is “unrecognized file format *.mdb” (replace the * with the filename). I am not even sure it is an access file. I have tried using Office 2007 and office 2010 but neither work. Is there a way to fix this?

Any help would be appricated, thanks.

mdb should be 2003 but it is possible that it is not a valid format. Maybe, as you say, it is not Access. Try to create a brand new database in Access and try to link to the tables kept in the DB that doesn’t work.

Sometimes, for weird reason, this works and you can look at the data inside… And then export it to this new DB. Of course, it would be more normal if it didnt’ work.

To check if it is a true Access DB, you could use a Hexadecimal editor and open the file in it so you can read the header. It will be filled with lots of weird caracters but the names of tables and other informattion will be, likely, readable.

Couple guides, which might repair corrupted .mdb file…

In case such problem as: cannot open a form or report

While developing forms, reports, and the code in their modules, they are likely to corrupt. To work around this, import the other objects into a new database:

-Create a new database.
-Turn off the Name AutoCorrect check boxes:
In Access 2010: File | Options | Current Database.
In Access 2007: Office Button | Access Options | Current Database.
In Access 2000 - 2003: Tools | Options | General.
For details of problems this mis-feature causes, see Failures caused by Name Auto-Correct.
-Import the tables, or link them if the database is split.
In Access 2007 or 2010, choose External Data | Import | Access.
In Access 95 - 2003, choose Get External on the File menu.
-Import the other objects (queries, forms, reports, macros, modules.)
-Set minimal References under Tools | References (from the code window).
-Compile (Debug menu, from the code window).

If one form or report is corrupt, the process will cease at step 5.

You will see the name of the object that has not been imported, and you can then try the import again, skipping the bad form(s)/report(s).

With a bit of luck, you may be able to import these from a previous backup.

If nothing helps, they you may apply to third party software, that restores MS Access databases in cases severe corruption: Access Repair Toolbox http://www.access.repairtoolbox.com/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.