Ethical question - annoying or possibly illegal?

Everyone remembers horrible schemes of the past like Bonzai buddy that would never leave you alone and if you didn’t want to see him TOO BAD he was there to stay, but I want to discuss something that’s very annoying and it happens quite often when I visit different websites. Bonzai buddy is a little different, but I’m talking more about sites that force you to sit there and hit 50x’s (this was back in the day) just to leave the site. You’d have to go into the task manager and delete the entire browser or else your screen might freeze back in the day due to these sites. They’d clone themselves and you’d never be able to x out of them and on the one site you did manage to x out of it took like 50 click to do it.

Nowadays.
I don’t know what it’s called, but I can only explain it.

1. I visit a site (like well say www.google.com) and I’ll get a pop under that sits on my computer. Sometimes I get 5 of them.

2. When I go to click the “red-x” button it won’t let me click out of it and on the site it brings up a message saying something along the lines “new deal” and it’s a lowered price then you originally thought. I don’t want to buy anything off of these guys 99.9% of the time and never have actually paid for anything on this type of site cause it looks suspicious.

3. Is there any type of hack to get around this? I hate how annoying it can be and don’t exactly like deleting the file out of my task manager. It reminds me of the old interweb when you were forced to do this a billion times. I want to block these affiliate sites for good.

What I mean is that you can use FF add-ons to forbid that unwanted content to show up. Yet, if you’re suffering an excess of pop-us/pop-unders when you visiting one particular page, that generally means some kind of virus/malware/adware/something that it is already in your system and needs to be deleted :slight_smile:

I don’t get pop unders when I visit Google. I was just saying that because I wanted to post a safer site and Google appears to be pretty safe. I don’t read the rules when I visit forums because I’m a member at over 100 currently and come back to different ones over time. Many forums/sites ban links to most sites, but Google is such a well known name that it’s safer to post 99.9% of the time.

The reason I get things like this is I visit SEO sites and other peoples blogs. I’m always studying things and learning more, so I can figure out things. New ideas for just about everything. Google is my idea machine.

I want to visit the sites for the information, but I don’t know which site has them and which site doesn’t. They are pop unders and I can’t always control that since some people stay cleaner and try not to annoy the visitors while others are trying to make a few extra bucks and don’t exactly care about the visitor. It’s personal choice over the matter with the webmaster of the site.

How bout you don’t go to those kind of sites in the first place, especially since you don’t buy anything from them "99.9% of the time and never have actually paid for anything on this type of site cause it looks suspicious. ".

Why are you there at all?

Definately.

You may want to search through FF extensions and add-ins. There are quite a few that turn on/off javascript (it does have a popup blocker too but you even want to add more security to it). The most famous is, of course, NoScript.

I agree with PHP, if you’re receiving popups or pop-unders when you open Google, something is very wrong and you may have some malware or virus.

They’re called exit popups.

If I understand you correctly, you get pop-ups and pop-unders when visiting Google? If so, then your computer is likely infected with some sort of adware. Might wanna run a scan.

oh ok thanks, I didn’t find anything else anyways. Is this black hat or an illegal technique?

I don’t know what they are called, I just put that because just about every other suitable name I can think of for them involves a lot of swearing.

“as you try to leave” is what they are called? I’m going to Google that when I feel like it as I’m interested in this. It’s really screwy to take control of my browser or I guess somehow their javascript window?

I’ll switch over to Chrome when I’m reading blogs and on different sites. I just don’t know why Google doesn’t ban this type of technique as it’s most likely a scam to get you to buy their marketing book that’s probably free on various seo / marketing sites.

thanks. I swear is there like 10 active people on this forum or do you guys follow me?

A popup blocker usually blocks popunders as well as popups.

Most of those “as you try to leave” messages rely on the proprietary onbeforeunload event handler and so only work in IE and Firefox so you can switch to a more standard compliant browser or simply disable JavaScript for their site.