Explaining lapse in employment to interviewer?

Hello everyone,
I have some exciting interviews coming out. Here is my question. Just how do I explain my lapse in employment to the person interviewing me (over the phone or in person), and still sound confident? I have a decent portfolio to show. However, it’s all out of date. I am coming up to speed by studying at Learnable.com on things like HTML 5, Mobile Apps, CSS, ect… I have been a stay at home dad for a number of years. I have had a few short freelance gigs here and there.
Thanks.

What’s wrong with saying that?
Sure beats “I was on an extensive begging for drinks campaign”, “serving time for embezzlement” or the like.

5 Likes

Honesty is the best policy with your situation. Anyone who is hiring you will know/assume the risk involved.

4 Likes

Agreed. Just the honest “I’ve been taking care of my kids” truth should be more than sufficient. If they have a problem with that, you probably are better off finding a job elsewhere.

V/r,

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. In addition, I was helping to take care of a sick mother who passed away during that time.

My condolences for your loss.

I, personally, would not mention that part during the interview. It could be perceived as fishing for empathy. IMHO.

V/r,

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve done plenty in that time - you’ve been a stay at home dad, but you’ve also done some freelance and have also kept up-to-date by learning new and current technologies over that time. Sounds like you are a good multitasker, and that you are highly motivated to learn. Seems like good qualities an interviewer would like to hear.

3 Likes

Yes I agree.

Yes you are right. Thanks.

I think saying you’ve been a stay-at-home dad is perfectly acceptable and understandable.

In these kinds of situations, it’s best to be honest.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.