Facebook has changed again!

I thought they still allow you to use custom layouts, though? It’s just a timeline now.

You can still have your custom tabs, in fact you get larger spaces with up to 810px of width. You just don’t get a default tab for non fans.

Getting used to the timeline, you would know this is a boon to the businesses out there if used the right way. It is true that many businesses have build up services around the custom tabs. However, the new timeline will not affect such businesses if they change as well. Custom tabs are still available in facebook timeline. We did create a couple of custom tabs in our timeline page http://www.facebook.com/SubmitINme for submitinme. As you see, the custom tabs are the live support and the coupon code. You can create custom pages in these spots but make sure you do it in iFrame. Because Facebook is discarding FBML apps very soon too

Don’t like the new look. Not only for all those anti-marketing features, but just for it looks ugly.

When you say “anti-marketing” what are you suggesting has changed?

Change is inevitable. The only question is, are you ready when it comes?

I personally don’t like the timeline but that’s how FB roll so I might as well accept it.

I think this change help many people

I feel timeline is better than custom pages as we won’t have to invest for our business page.

Why?

Is it possible to keep the old layout or is the timeline obligatory?

All brand pages will shift on March 30th, users have already begun to be moved over. There’s always been one profile view and next up it will be the timeline.

Facebook is progressing, this is a very good thing, and its fun. Myspace stayed the same and its now dead.

we really dont have any choice in the matter as facebook has already launched the timeline. Though many users are uncomfortable with this and affected by it so does other online marketing companies. might as well go with the flow on this one.

Thats nice too make changes for business pages at face book from that we can advertise.yes but time-line can be change(May Be…)

Are you actually saying something, or did you just string random on-topic words together by flipping coins? That’s called “fluff” and it’s useless and wastes space.

Companies who have abandoned having their own web site and have chosen to throw everything to a closed, proprietary third-party (Facebook has no obligations to do things companies want… Facebook is a company and it does whatever it wants to for itself) can’t complain about Facebook making some change that makes it harder for them to market themselves or their products. Sorry, you voluntarily gave up control, now live with it. Oh and enjoy leaving out all your potential customers who don’t have a facebook page.

Yeah my rants are also useless and waste space but they help my psychological problems so good for PR and SEO thanks…

While I can’t speak to the psych benefits of ranting there’s not much SEO benefit from a link in these threads… However I’d hardly call your post a waste of space.

I absolutely agree with your argument about the risks of over attachment. Furthermore I’d suggest that the best thing for a company to be doing bringing social into their website [and their business for that matter, it’s not just a web strategy]… Not how to push people over to a page to write a comment. You can not expect people to actually give you credit for being transparent, or find the full benefits of being able to openly communicate with your customers, if the only place to engage is on some external site.

it’s good to see you here Poes :smiley:

You have brought up a point that I hadn’t seen mentioned before and your post is most definitely not a waste of space. I think a lot of businesses are forgetting that not everyone uses Facebook and that customers who do maybe don’t want their news feeds cluttered up with business promotions. I know I have trimmed away a lot of businesses I originally liked just so that my friends’ posts are more visible.

I honestly don’t understand the flap about timeline. I rarely use mine or visit those of my friends.

There are so many changes that Facebook has gone through some for the best but some just make it hard to navigate.

The “waste of space” comment was because first I went off on the poster before me, then spewed some of my own anyway.

that was also a joke; there’s some spew here typically found over in the SEO area…
hence the “thanks” followed by an ungodly number of …

The problem with the timeline for most people seems to be, it’s a usability nightmare. People have trouble reading a single chronological thread when visually things are placed on both sides. The tiny arrow is supposed to help you tell who comes first, but it’s small and I’ve seen on someone’s page the placement was incorrect (or, it did not match the dates it was supposedly lining up with).

It’s some art designer had a dream and everyone else thought it looked cool so it was implemented. Usually FB is actually pretty with-it when it comes to UI, so this surprised me. At the very least, they could try subtle colour-coding of months or larger dates or a bigger pointer arrow to make the order make more sense. For some pages it may not matter but for others, especially businesses, the order is considered important.

After reading Eli Pariser’s The Filter Bubble I just figured you’ll stop seeing something if you never click on them. Supposedly that’s what happened to him: he linked to conservatives while being a left-winger himself and Facebook’s algorithm learned he still tended to click on the left-wing stories and so stopped showing him the right-wingers in his timeline. When he noticed, he freaked.
It’s learning… oh god no, it’s beginning to learn

I agree change is good…if the same old thing remains, we may get bored even though we habituated to it…new changes also give refreshing work…in the beginning i felt time line boring…but it seems to be ok:) not that boring:)