Facebook posts

Hi,

I am trying to set up a facebook page for my school, and we have a few concerns about posting vs just like.

We are struggling to find out which would be better, as a post or like page.

Our reasoning behind setting it up will be for updates, reminders etc, however, our principal would like to give parents permission to write, but some of the parents fly off the handle and then calm down, and who knows what they will write when they are in these moods.

So I guess my questions are:

Can we set up the page so that when people post we can view it first?

If we set up as a like page, is that going to limit the parents who like it?

Open to suggestions and any answers,
Sorry if it went on for too long I have never done this before.

Hi StaceyFitz. Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Can we set up the page so that when people post we can view it first?

This is more something you’d do on your own website. Facebook and similar sites are social media, where you don’t have as much control over how people interact with the page. If you are afraid of what people might say, I’d suggest not putting up a page at all.

If we set up as a like page, is that going to limit the parents who like it?

Not sure what you mean by a Like page. You can set up a page on Facebook for a business or other organization. It is quite similar to a personal page. People can “Like it”, comment on it, follow it etc.

check out the privacy settings, there are many settings you can take advantage of that will help you accomplish exactly what you are looking for…

I don’t think there are limitations besides the actual amount of friends you have…

You want to control people or at least their visible actions. While that’s a common thought it’s simply no longer possible.

Whether or not you have your own page people can and will talk about you how they see fit. The question is whether or not you want a chance to be involved in that discussion, to rally your point of view, build up relationships and advocates. For most the choice is obviously yes.

But it’s good to go into this with a healthy dose of reality and an understanding of what it means. Building a social page does increase the risk of a backlash and it does put it on what’s seen as “your soil”… You will need to be tied to your page, have plans to cover various event types and rules to make sure that what’s removed is done so for reasons people agree with. But again, moderating people out of the picture will do nothing to stop the comments, if anything it will just make them worse.

Plan for the bad but build for the good. Most posts will be positive and the ability to communicate with your school’s community, well that’s huge.

Why not use most, you should play about with the settings - on one of my pages I allowed both but later changed to only likes as it was working better. So try experimenting and playing about with the settings

You can control the posts in the Manage Permissions, when you edit your FB Page profile. Go to the “posting ability” portion and do not check the “Everyone can post to [name] timeline”

Blocking people from posting simply encourages them to go to venues where you have no voice & representation while making your community that much less social, that much less valuable. If the only interaction is you talking at people you will quickly find the benefit is nill.

I get your point, but why is there a need for others to post publicly on your timeline? Those who have you in their newsfeeds can comment on your status updates and you can comment on the statuses of those in your newsfeed. I figure my Timeline is my private space for friends and other contacts to check up on what I’ve been doing if they are of a mind to do that. I really don’t want some acquaintance or even some rogue family member posting content there that doesn’t represent my views.

On the few occasions when I do share something with a friend on their timeline, I don’t check to see whether it’s public or private. My aim isn’t to become known to their circle. It is just to share something with them that I feel they will find interesting or to wish them a personal congratulations on a birthday, anniversary, promotion or other event in their life.

I was referring to the timeline in the capacity of a business, not individual. Since you know all i think about is work :smiley:

Hi,

Facebook don’t allow their users to approve any post, posted by their friends or fans. So you can not stop anyone to post anything. you can just create a like page for your school, and promote it everywhere.

You can set permission in page admin, no one can post on your page without your permission, or can not post comment on your post. but you can easily update about your school news, calender, daily activities etc.

You can set up a page so that people can post on that and you and everyone who has liked that page can see all the comments. Second thing you can’t limit parents by liking it.

I think both posting(or sharing) and likings are important. Postings bring in visitors and readers while liking improves reputation. But the real part is facebook pages are pity good and broad and they offer different options than just posts and likes.

Certainly there is no control over that page for controlling people who are gonna post on that and who are gonna like it but i wish there should be some…

Facebook has plenty of controls to govern who can post on a page and who can see it, as well. Before you put forth an opinion, please research your facts to make sure they are accurate.

Hello,
I am a very active facebook user. This problem can be easily solved through the facebook privacy settings. It doesnt matter if u have a group page, a like page or an account. No one can post without the permission granted from you. You can set the settings in such a way that everyone can post, but only after your review, it will be actually posted on your wall. so I think , since social media is a very popular method of e-marketing, you should start this page. But remember to manage it wisely with setting the privacy and security settings to your preference.

Page will be best all can read if you have issue with what parents write u can make it hidden for admins only

How does turning off posting help you build a social presence?