Factors that lead to ban of an account at sitepoint

Hi folks,
I am new to this forum site and tell you, its an amazing experience to be here.
The only thing that is worrying me is the fear of my account getting banned. I have heard a lot of factors that leads to the ban. So friends please do suggest me some of the reason that I should avoid so that my account won’t get ban…
Thanks in advance.

have you read the FAQ?

As Rudy says, if you read the FAQ/Rules that’s linked at the top of every page, that will give you a good idea.

The two main reasons people get banned are:

1. Spam or advertising. No self-promotion is allowed on the forums.
  2. Repeated “fluff” posting. We want every message to add something of value to the discussion, we don’t want people just repeating things that have already been said, or adding vague and meaningless one-liners.

(I’ve moved this thread to the “Forum Support and Feedback” section, because it’s more relevant there than in SEO)

I did go through the FAQ, but I am expecting something more precise. Would you be kind enough in siting some of the important factors and causes.??

It’s not rocket science. :slight_smile: If you ask genuine questions and give genuine answers, you’ll be fine. If you provide external links, do so because they truly help to answer someone’s question, rather than to promote yourself. We could list a million rules and instances, but it’s just common sense and courtesy, really.

Fake signatures is something that may get you into trouble too. Lot’s of people post one liners and add a link to their site manually because they can edit a real signature (you will not have one until you are around here for 90 days)

This will not get you banned straight away but it can get you into trouble or may re-inforce the impression that banning you could be a good thing.

As everyone else said, treat the forum as a forum (that is, aks and answer questions, debate, have fun and learn) and not as article exposing software (again, don’t create threads to expose how much you know… it is better to solve real problems), be good and everything will go just fine. And you will even have fun! :smiley:

• don’t spam
• don’t proselytize
• don’t attack other members

spelling errors, such as siting instead of citing, will be cheerfully overlooked :smiley:

I have to say that this is the oddest opening post I have ever read!
It’s like walking up to a doorman and asking how to avoid getting thrown out!?!

Do you mean that doorman threw you out? What did you do? c’mon… you can confess your little secrets to us… nobody will know … :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, just us and the lolcats.

And I thought that there was a juicy story behind this :lol:

hey,
If you repeatedly post content not related to the topic then there is a possibility of ban from the site.