Fade a photo to transparent in photoshop?

Can someone tell me how to make a photo so it fades to transparent in Photoshop?

You can set the opacity of each layer from 1% to 100%. Play around with that until you find the right density if you want to have an overlay with another image showing through.

For a fade select the image with the marque or lasso tool, or select all after you have set it on a large feather, depending on the size of the image and the kind of fade you would like. Set it 20, 50 or 100 px or larger and then delete after reversing the selection. Play around until you find your perfect fade.

Don’t forget that you can not do this on the background layer. Duplicate the layer, that is the one that you can fade into transparency – Datura :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help, but I’m kind of confused as to how to go about applying the fade to nothing. Which tool should I use? Is there anyway to do something like photo to transparent like how you can select a color then use the Gradient tool to fade to transparency?

I thought that you would start out with a photo that you have opened in Photoshop. You can also just open a new file in the size you wish and lay a flat color in with the bucket or select a gradient and fill the file with that. You can also just go to the color selector and pick a color for the background. This you can fill into the file by just going up to Edit > Fill.

Then you duplicate this layer in the Layer pallet and do as described above. You will be surprised when you see nothing happening, but that is because you have to deactivate the background layer for it to become invisible.

When you select with a feather, a swath of the selected pixel size will be the area that will fade away after inverting and deleting. If you do not invert, you will eliminate the image in the middle, a frame will be left standing with a fade towards the middle.

Have you worked in Photoshop before?

Datura :slight_smile:

PS. Photoshop has a tutorial built right in, you know. It is very good and questions like this are answered very nicely. I learned all of it this way and you should maybe start with the basics there.

Or.

1. Open up your image file.
  2. Create a new layer below your image layer and fill with a color
  3. Select your image layer
  4. Select your Gradient tool (press G on your keyboard)
  5. Go to Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All
  6. Click and drag from halfway down your pic to the bottom.