Fade image from normal to transparent with Fireworks

I have Fireworks 8. I remember using the trial version of Fireworks MX and doing the tutorial about some ad that had an old Cadillac that involved fading the rear of that car from normal visibility to whited out. I want to do something similar with one of my images, except I want it to have normal visibility at one end and then fade to completely transparent at the other end (or at least fade into the color of the background, which is a beige color). I hope you know what I am talking about because I have tried searching for this effect but can’t find anything.

I do know where the Convert to alpha filter is and how to turn on Live Filters, but I can’t figure out how to make it work similar to a gradient. I hope one of you can help me with this.

Thanks,

Grump

Have you checked out www.pixel2life.com?

Thank you for the link. I joined the forum there and did some looking around. It took a while before I finally found a non-related article that referred to something else but brought to my attention the menu item in Fireworks, Command | Creative | Fade. I don’t know how I missed that. It was exactly what I was looking for. Amazingly enough, using the keyword “fade” in the Fireworks help applet did not bring that up as a result.

Thank you,

Grump

Another good trick:
Ad mask (Klick the image and the open Layers panel. Bottom of that panel is mask button)

Ones you have the mask, take the Gradient tool (or hit G in kbord). Make sure you have the mask selected instead of the image (layers panel again).

Now select fill. Options are from black to white. All Black is equal to 100% transparent.

Ones you have the edge of fills selected, you can start makeing nice fades.

Try it. You love the options that this tecnigue gives you.

A quick way - select the image you want to fade and click Commands > Creative > Fade Image :slight_smile:

Hoopermans technigue is good if you need simple fade (fast). But if you need more then just ad simple fade (like fading the edges of image) you can do it with mask. Just use pen tool instead of griadient tool in that.

This can also be accomplished with Photoshop right? And if so are the steps simple enough?

I remember to come across this ruby powered gradient image tutorial

http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/web2/web2.html

but I guess alpha image can be done easily using photoshop. And remember to save into png file.

This thread is very very old.

Yes. If you add a quick mask to your layer, you can drag a gradient (black->transparent) to create a fading effect. If you don’t care so much about transparency, you can drag a white to transparent gradient on a new layer above your art work. :slight_smile:

“A quick way - select the image you want to fade and click Commands > Creative > Fade Image”

WOW!!!

I was searching the internet on how to mask and fade from gradient to alpha an image and this completely solved my problem… I had to join this forum to only say thank you Hooper Man!!! :cool: