Faling miserable on IE 7 and 8

Please have a look on a following on a good browser, and then, a look on IE7 and IE8

Regarding the IE7 and IE8 issues:

Are this float related issues ?

Is this due to the fact that I’m not specifying a width with the floated elements ?

Thanks,
mem

The page looks much the same in Firefox and IE8 to me (basically broken), except that the headings are much bigger in IE8. How is the page meant to look?

I think your issues are related to having a HTML5 doctype and using HTML5 specific html elements in your markup and css.

I assume you are aware that HTML5/CSS3 are still in development and most probably won’t be officially released by the W3C for at least a few years yet. Also, the final “official” W3C HTML5 recommendations will probably, at least in parts, be different to what they are today.

Consequently, HTML5/CSS3 support varies greatly among the major browsers and most, if not all, older versions of browsers will not support HTML5/CSS3 at all.

Bottom line: using HTML5/CSS3 for commercial websites is currently done at your own risk.

Sorry.
The page isn’t that messy. I mean, I have not yet applied the styles to all elements that’s why it looks like that.

The issue is on the following element:
nav

Located here:
#top nav

If you look in good browsers you will see that element is floated right;
If you look in bad browsers, you will see that element is NOT floated right;

All the rest of the page, is still under construction.

Thanks

and the cause of your issue is as described below:

I think your issues are related to having a HTML5 doctype and using HTML5 specific html elements in your markup and css.

I assume you are aware that HTML5/CSS3 are still in development and most probably won’t be officially released by the W3C for at least a few years yet. Also, the final “official” W3C HTML5 recommendations will probably, at least in parts, be different to what they are today.

Consequently, HTML5/CSS3 support varies greatly among the major browsers and most, if not all, older versions of browsers will not support HTML5/CSS3 at all.

Bottom line: using HTML5/CSS3 for commercial websites is currently done at your own risk.

Using html5/css3 atm is a bit like moving into a partially completed house and wondering why all the lights don’t work since only half the wiring has been installed :slight_smile:

Indeed I forgot the .js script for making bad browsers behave. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Still, immo I believe it’s worth reading:
http://diveintohtml5.info/

Regards,
m.

But you’ll still have issues with user agents where javascript is disabled for whatever reason.