Easiest way to create a faux bold font in Illustrator is:
1) Create a new TEXT layer with the text you want. I suggest starting with a large point like 72 and resize it down when done...
2) Select the Selection tool (V)
3) From menu choose Type >> Create Outlines or use Cntl-Shift-O. This will turn the text into vector outlines (may want to make a backup copy of the layer in case you want to change fonts, etc down the road).
4) From the top menu go to EFFECT >> PATH >> OFFSET PATH...
5) Enter the following values:
OFFSET: 1px (or 2px)
MITER LIMIT: 4px
Click on "Preview" check box to see it before hitting OK.
There you go...bold text. Now you can use the Free Transform tool (E) to resize it evenly or go to Object >> Transform >> Scale... and resize it there (make sure you have Scale Strokes and Effects box checked.
This is my favorite way of doing it, but another method you can use it to give the stroke color the same as the fill and then increase the stroke value till it gets the boldness you want. Need to use the Scale option above when resizing though or your stroke and/or effects may get out of proprotion.
Hope this helps.