scampsall — 2011-09-21T04:33:39-04:00 — #1
I've just uploaded this site:
Setting aside the fact that it's a massive mess of HTML links (I'm trying to learn PHP, I really am!), and far from perfect besides, the favicon has wandered off. Which is wierd as it works fine on the test build I have here:
Any thoughts? It's currently found here: Images/DIALfavicon.ico
I added it as just 'favicon.ico' to the root folder, and I've check the file paths in the HTML but I can't see an issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated
technobear — 2011-09-21T05:15:39-04:00 — #2
It's working OK here in Firefox and Chromium on Linux. Which O/S and browser are you using?
scampsall — 2011-09-21T05:36:25-04:00 — #3
Thanks for your reply
Wierd - I'm using an XP machine and not getting the favicon in FF 6/Safari/Chrome, but it is now there in IE 8 and Opera.
I mainly don't understand how it's there in the test build and not in the live site - they are basically identical. Could it be an issue with the host/server? I use Filezilla to upload files - when I look in the server directory in FZ the .ico file has an unrecognized filetype icon.
But then it's visible in the above browsers, so that doesn't really make sense either?!
scampsall — 2011-09-21T05:41:32-04:00 — #4
I restarted FF and it's there now, guess it was a cache thing? Sorry for wasting your time, I am pretty new at this :S
xhtmlcoder — 2011-09-21T05:46:54-04:00 — #5
It's working fine for me so perhaps you just needed to clear your cache or it was a slow server propagation. You should be pretty safe with the Favicon being in the root and that's assuming its a valid ICO format.
gary_turner — 2011-09-21T13:46:07-04:00 — #6
What you see in a file browser is not necessarily related to what a file is served as (the response header mime type). Linux, and your server is a Red Hat distro, does not care about the extension; the "." is just another character. I imagine it's Filezilla that doesn't know what the ico extension is. In Debian, all applications that need to know the MIME type of a file reference /etc/mime.types for the info. From your response header for /favicon.ico, Apache does know the proper MIME type.
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:21:47 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4
Last-Modified: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 08:15:26 GMT
system — 2011-09-21T14:24:25-04:00 — #7
Not sure if this is your problem, but...
1) not all browsers will look for the named version from the link, and instead will use the one in the same directory as the file being served named 'favicon.ico' -- which is why placing it in a subdirectory and giving it a name other than that is usually bad practice.
2) your link does not target all browsers... and the use of a type on the LINK tag can in fact do more harm than good on it working.
I'd suggest renaming the file favicon.ico, moving it into the same directory as where your HTML is being served from, and using THIS for the link instead of what you have:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />
Though that IE CC after on such a simple page calls the CSS used into question, and therin the markup which with the missing headings, non-breaking spaces doing padding's job, non-semantic markup, comment placements guaranteed to cause rendering bugs in legacy IE and some versions of FF, and that silly 'resize text' thing which likely means you didn't just do the right thing and declare your fonts in %/em...
It has issues.