FavIcon (in Address bar) not working in IE 9

Hi all,

I downloaded the ICO file format plugin for CS5 from:

Favicon - How To Create A Favicon.ico | PhotoshopSupport.com

I then set about creating my new little favicon, and inserted the new HTML code into my source code…

<link href=“favicon.ico” rel=“shortcut icon”>

(Just out of interest can somebody clarify whether or not the closing tag should infact be there as the code given from the URL above just has a > and not /> , either way neither variation works for IE9 )

…directly inbetween the <head> </head> tags & loaded the page up in the latest version of Safari / Opera & Firefox and my little icon is sitting up there nice and pretty, but then I go to open it up in IE9 and its not there ??

Ive read you have to put another line of code in which is :

<link rel=“icon” href=“/favicon.ico” type=“image/x-icon”>

You can also include the line of code which I first mentioned above to accompany it but this still does not work… I was thinking is it anything to do with the fact that the site is offline ? 1 reason to quash that thought is it works in 3 other browsers offline so why not IE9 ?

Again any help greatly appreciated

:shifty:

You might have to clear your browser cache a few times to get it to show up, or shut down the browser and come back later, or bookmark the site. Favicons don’t always show up straight away, especially in the browser you’ve been viewing the ste with previously.

Use > at the end if using HTML4 or HTML5, and /> for XHTML.

Ive read you have to put another line of code in which is :

<link rel=“icon” href=“/favicon.ico” type=“image/x-icon”>

You only need one line, but make sure to add the last bit (type=“”) as above, or try this version:

<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon">

Cheers for this Ralph, Ive amended my /> as I am indeed using XHTML at the moment.

The site Ive built should be going live in the next 48 hours so Ill post the URL in this post and get some views on it.

All the best

Ben

I’ve seen a number of references, including rel Property (A, LINK, HTMLAnchorElement Constructor, …), that indicate that IE requires:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

So, I’ve always taken a “belt and suspenders” approach, and used both the “icon” and “shortcut icon” links.