Feedback about SitePoint on Discourse

Regarding Badges, these are determined by a cron job that runs once daily, seems to me that everything associated with awarding a Badge would be sync’ed, but maybe not.

It is, but there was a problem with the TL related badges :wink: With the help from @system, it all got sorted :smile:

OK, it turns out it was all my own fault because I’d got my mobile set to use the desktop version of sites rather than the mobile version, and the switch only works one way. So the mobile site does work OK, apart from none of the icons appearing as icons, but the desktop site is broken on a small screen. That may or may not be an issue that anyone can be bothered to fix!

So, I made a post. After I posted it, I re-read it and thought I had typed a wrong word, so I edited it. After I saved the edit, I re-read it again and realized it was actually right the first time. So I tried to edit it back the way it was, but I got an error message saying, “Body is too similar to what you recently posted.”

It seems that Discourse, quite literally, forbids us from undoing an edit. That seems like a bad feature. Can we get rid of it?

Edit: Test

I am just going to test that for myself.

Edit: I can’t repro that Jeff. Strange.

Weird. I just tried it again, but can still reproduce it. In my post above, I edited to add “Edit: Test”. Then I edited again to remove that text I just added, and it didn’t allow me to.

Edit: Maybe admins are exempt?

Perhaps. Let me do some digging.

There is a “ninja edit” window where minor typo edits are OK.

Once that window closes the “similarity check” is in effect. I haven’t tested to find out just how much difference there needs to be, but I do know that changing only a single letter won’t be seen as a significant change.

So for example if you want to change “to” to “too” you need to also toss another word or three into the mix somewhere to have the edit pass.

A bit frustrating and it takes a bit of creativity, but it has worked for me.

2 Likes

Any thoughts to having the VBulletin feature to see “who is online”?

Yup, it’s been heavily discussed and we are definitely for the idea. The Discourse guys aren’t interested, so it won’t go into core, but we’ll customise something here. It isn’t esp high on the priority list though, so it won’t be in the immediate future.

1 Like

it seems the email notifications about a topic you created or subscribed to are not as reliable or fast as they used to be?

Do have this Preference checked?

Do not suppress email notifications when I am active on the site

And have you recently seen what you’re thinking should have been emailed?

We’ll only email you if we haven’t seen you recently and you haven’t already seen the thing we’re emailing you about.

I applied the options you suggest. That was probably it, thank you
D

I don’t mind Discourse. In fact I’m kind of liking it. I know that’s probably boring, useless feedback, but there it is!

3 Likes

We’re always happy to hear that someone likes it. :slight_smile:

I think various colors under various section makes it for me harder to find proper section
I think improving readability of section names is important

Please provide us with examples and screenshots. We are definitely open to improving accessibility, but we need to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

1 Like

On the home page, you have the option of viewing all categories or going into “Ruby” or “CSS” (etc) from the dropdown. I can describe where this is if needed. Any thoughts to allowing users to customize which boards are shown? Checkbox type feature? Make that a user preference? Some users will have no desire to ever look at “Ruby” etc etc.

Customisation definitely has merit and I’d love to do something with it down the line. In the short-med term we have a few things to iron out first. Keep the ideas coming though, I’m bookmarking everything for revisiting.

1 Like

Throwing them out there as I see it :blush: