Feedback about SitePoint on Discourse

Yes. Thanks! Feeling a bit lost right now, but I guess I’ll eventually find things. :smiley:

Don’t sweat it, it took us weeks to get used to some of the changes Discourse takes from a typical forum. Believe it or not, we all resisted to the same things each of you have noticed thus far but ultimately discovered, the way it works in Discourse, is actually quite nice.

It is definitely a learning process, but I very much enjoy it (and if you didn’t know this, you can copy and paste images directly into the composer window – at least with Chrome). That feature alone, I miss every time I visit another forum.

1 Like

Or even just drag them across … at least on the Mac.

I think it’s a general feature. Certainly works on Linux.

Think of it as a sneak preview - just don’t look if you get confused.

You don’t - put the stuff that you would put in your signature in the “About Me” box at http://www.sitepoint.com/community/my/preferences, and it will show up when people click on your avatar/username.

This is covered in the rules, linked from the dismissable banner at the top and as “FAQ” in the “hamburger menu” .

2 Likes

That would be a pretty fundamental core change. If it proves to be a common complaint then we’ll look into it, but I hope it’s just going to be one of those things that you get used to pretty quickly.

He actually means his V/r sign off, which is fine. Not technically a forum signature.

2 Likes

Precisely! :slight_smile: I didn’t articulate that very well.

Yeah, just need to know how to create a macro so I can just “ctrl-whatever” and put:

V/r,
:slight_smile:

… at the end of each post. Or something like that. (Minus the asterisks… hmm…)

I have another question: On the top of the forums page there is a set of options, one of which is “New(18)” where the number represents the number of new threads or posts that I haven’t viewed yet.

When I click on this, I see the list of all 18 posts, but after viewing a few of them, I get a blank page with the message “You have no new topics. Browse all categories or view latest topics”.

But the heading might now read “New(15)” and if I click on this I will see all 15 threads with new posts.

Again, I read a few and get another blank page with the message “You have no new topics. Browse all categories or view latest topics” And so on …

Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

Yes, it is a known bug in Discourse and if you do a hard refresh of the site, it clears up the number in the navigation to match what you really have left as unread/new.

They know about, they have ideas on how to fix it, it just hasn’t had any priority yet.

Keep the questions coming :smile:

Love the new discourse forums! …But now I have a bug to report. :blush:

It looks like some posts from the pre-migration period have double-escaped HTML entities.

One example: Use Heredoc or just output HTML? - #5 by Jeff_Mott

That looks like it gets fixed on a rebake (as I edited it and it fixed itself). @system, is the rebake process still running? (if yes, then others will likely resolve themselves as the process continues to run)

I seem to be the final new user on the old forum…and now I’m here. Better than watching the odometer turn over!

fwiw…I am mobile on Winphone5 Nokia, & so far so good.

2 Likes

I fixed one of the issue here yesterday, so you better merge it in :slight_smile:

@system will work on a more general fix soon see:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/back-button-causing-invalid-lists/19809

https://meta.discourse.org/t/no-json-request-when-clicking-latest/19802

Not a Discourse fix, but I’ve been using the free version of Text Expander (Mac) to do this. Love it.

PR accepted
https://meta.discourse.org/t/reset-password-doesnt-give-password-requirements/19799/5?u=cpradio

Yes it is. It’ll probably take a week to finish…

1 Like

[quote=“system, post:78, topic:742”]
It’ll probably take a week to finish…
[/quote]A week?!! Anything I’ve ever baked would have been burnt to a cinder in a week.

3 Likes

Hi
I really am enjoying the over all new look. It’s fun using the forum. A good positive change :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. That might work at home, but I don’t have permissions to install anything on my work system (where I actually access SPF from), so no third-party solutions. :frowning: Isn’t there a way to record macros on Win7? I’ve been Googling for it, just not finding anything.