Feedback about SitePoint on Discourse

There is? Maybe it’s a responsive desktop view then, because when I click on the empty box that is in the same position as the hamburgler icon is on desktop (well, I say “the same place”, but that’s not continuing the b0rken alignment and overlapping text…), I get the same menu as I do here on the desktop, with the exception that the first few characters of each line have irretrievably disappeared off the left-hand edge … but there doesn’t seem to be an option to switch between desktop and mobile view…

I remember seeing the option there earlier this year, but I no longer see it using Desktop Firefox 32.0 Windows 7

Hm, odd. This is what I see on my mobile:

Screenshot please!

Sure.

This shows WebMachine as OP and fretburner as the last respondent.

But in the thread, the last person to respond was WebMachine. The one before that was StarLion. fretburner was simply the first person to respond to the thread.

Link to Thread

Shouldn’t it be either WebMachine | WebMachine or WebMachine | StarLion? Who cares who the first person to respond to the thread was?

Like I said, trivial. Just seems weird to me.

1 Like

By default, Discourse shows around 5 avatars, I think, but we reduced it to 2 to reduce clutter. Anyhow, the second avatar is not necessarily the last person to post. It seems to be the person who has posted most in the thread other than the OP.

2 Likes

Yes, fretburner is shown because apart from the OP he is “the most frequent” to have posted in it. i.e. from the topic’s expanded map view. A Quick Array Question

Ah! Ok. That makes sense then. It’s always seemed to be just the first person who replied.

@HAWK, this we can add " - most frequent poster" to the title/alt attribute on the second avatar to make this clearer?

I believe I changed my settings to get notifications for everything I do in a topic but I don’t get notificiations…let me explain.

I posted in a topic…real quick post. Took 30 seconds to 1 minute. I don’t get a notification up top in the black bar about new posts. I’ll see a red circle with “1” or something in it to designate that a new post is in there but…

What gives? I want my settings to give me notifications each time I post in a topic. Even this topic I didn’t get a single notification, and I’ve posted in this thread. On the other Sitepoint, any topic you post in would automatically show in your UserCP. I loved that. Now I have to hunt for topics to see if anyone replied to my comments. Frustrating.

Edit-Yes I have selected to track topics AUTOMATICALLY as soon as I post in them (click my avatar, select preferences, scroll down the page, and automatically enroll in tracking)

This is odd. Ok so I know I achieved member status (2) where the requirements are at least 15 day-visits, etc etc. I go to my profile and it says I’m a “member” which corrosponds with that rank. Now in this thread, if you click my avatar, it says I have the badge “Trust Level 1”

So I go to the forum homempage and the message box that by default, appears up there, says you can ask for explanation of trust levels. Now I look at level 1 and it’s a lower rank than what I had. I look at trust level 2 and it’s only given to 18 people (mainly mods)…I know my “member” status was granted to 60 some people…can I get an explanation? Is this being reworked? I’m very confused now. The Trust Level 2 status = the member status when this upgrade first happened. A week ago I earned that. Now it’s taken it away (shouldn’t be possible AFAIK).

Just something that caught my eye…

I think the basic badge is level 0 and member status is Trust Level 1. Hmm, must be programmers that set this up. :laughing:

Yep, we are aware of this issue. Still trying to track it down. You definitely are TL 2, the badge just isn’t getting Granted. We have 51 members so far that are TL 2 and only 19 badges were granted…

Either way, the “regular” or “member” status is (2) which I have.

0 is for new registers
1 is just after new registers to make sure they aren’t here purely for spam
2 is what you get for hte 15 days etc

Edit- @cpradio Thank you. I just tried to get screenshots but the trust level is back to normal. Still some issues though.

Edit2 - Yes, issues e.g. not being granted. You guys are on top of this!

1 Like

Hmm… Everything in your preferences looks right to me…

Next time you enter a topic and do your first post, can you scroll to the bottom and take a screenshot of the Tracking/Watching/Regular/Muted drop down (after you post, and before you post – if you are willing).

It will help me identify better what Discourse is doing based on your settings.

1 Like

I moved 19 posts to a new topic: Ryan and cpradio’s Testing of Notifications

1 Like

Ah, okay, so semantics is what we are hitting. :smile:

If you look at the description for tracking

You will see it states “replies to your post” (emphasis is mine)

What you want is “Watching”

It seems the only way to elicit Watching is manually switching it (by changing the drop down, or using the keyboard combination m, w

Or by watching categories (in your preferences), which auto-subscribe you to all topics as they are created within that category (this is what I do).

Badge is now fixed. Sorry about that :smile:

1 Like

Ok I added all categories that I’d ever look at or post in…so that’s taken care of. I find that a little odd that it was manually needed.

Perhaps it’d be easier to have a checkbox to automatically send you updates for hwatever topics you post in (instead of selecting to “watch” every category (if that makes sense)

Either way, it SHOULD be fixed now that the categories have been added.

I noticed the badge work throughout this morning and yes it is fixed. Thank you.

Edit-One thing I noticed is that on my profile, it says “member” status. I know that’s (2) but not everyone would. Are you going to change the profile to show the trust level instead of like “regular” or “member” or “guest” e.g.?

Edit2- @cpradio don’t hit “reply” to my post so this can be tested.

Right now we are utilizing the defaults in Discourse, which use Regular, Member, and Guest. I won’t say we won’t customize it, but right now that isn’t on the list of things to do.

Off Topic:
Did you get a notification? And if you didn’t, make sure the Topic is set to Watching, instead of Tracking (you may still need to manually do that).

No notification…maybe new topics that I enter from here on out will be watched? Easily testable if you just go create a thread or something and let me post and you post back. Your call. Or I can go find a new thread to test in.

Or you can threaten me with the almighty banhammer if I instigate this again :smiley: