poolheatpumps — 2013-01-28T12:01:51-05:00 — #1
I would appreciate some feedback and reviews for this site (mainly the index page), letting me know what elements are working and which are not.
This site has recently undergone some major changes – to improve the layout and structure and reorganize the navigation. But there’s still a lot of room for improvement. The goal is to allow the user to quickly locate relevant information and simplify the process of finding a pool heater.
Depending on the needs of the visitor, the index page needs to address a few different topics to appeal to specific audiences:
1) Those who want help; want customer service or need to contact us.
2) Research and learning about pool heating.
3) Link to Shop for products and view prices.
weboutgateway — 2013-01-29T00:49:49-05:00 — #2
Compare to the old one, the design is better looking and the layout is cleaner compare to the old one. I understand that you want to put all the information/links on the homepage, however, the overall look of the website seems to be crowded, still. Below are some of my suggestions:
- Put a drop-down function for each category on the left-side navigation.
- Put an image slider/banner rotator for the featured heat pumps.
- Put a brief description for each product category on the mid content.
That's all I could suggest
cbkenn — 2013-01-29T18:39:33-05:00 — #3
From first to last, you have really tightened up the amount of info presented. I was in visual overload from the original site. One of my big questions is the need for both the "Get Help Choosing" and "Find Help" functions as they seem to both do the same thing. There are also three different items indicating how to contact you - top banner, a contact number in the lower box and then a contact us selection under the Company area.
greg_baka — 2013-01-30T09:02:47-05:00 — #4
This review is just about your DRAFT version -since it is the best I'll just bounce around and hit some big things...
1) If you are going to switch to DRAFT, consider also making it responsive. Mobile devices are taking over, and if most of your customers are older homeowners or busy HVAC guys they will appreciate being able to read it on their device without having to squint or do lots of zooming. To see the what mobile users would see, open your Draft page in Firefox and then hit Control-Shift-M all at once and select the mid to narrow view sizes.
2) Who are your customers? Homeowners or HVAC/Plumbing guys? The site appears to focus on homeowners, but my guess is that 99% of homeowners could not install something like this. If you have some cool do-it-yourself system, then you need to boldly tell about it.
3) If you want professional installers to buy from you, you need a bit of homepage space dedicated to them. Something they can click that will take them to a page that serves them quickly in their special technical language.
4) Left blue box, says "Find Help" would be better if it said "Get Help" since "Find" sounds like it is just going to take them to some form they will have to submit or list of names they will need to read...
(Which is actually what happens - but that is a whole different review At least put your phone number and office hours at the top of that form for all those who want to talk to someone right away)
The words "Get Help" sounds more positive, like you are going to solve their pool heating problems for them.
Hope this helps!
webify — 2013-01-30T17:00:31-05:00 — #5
Hi. I liked the Layout as well but for your main image on your home page a picture of say you?. the owner would be a little more inviting than the heat pump pictures. I realize that's what the site is about but you have a bunch of very similar pics just below. I also think it is a bit crowded over there on the left nav bar. too many options by far. A few drop down menus with that content added and you would reduce the clutter over there a great deal. Also For some reason on the "Pool Heat Pumps" and the "Parts & Supplies" and also the "Partner" menus they are linked to their designated page. "Resources" is not for some reason?. Overall I like the color choices and concise and simple way you can view the various items as well as the fact you have a good description of the item included once you have clicked on it but not before reducing text clutter. Good Job.
josh_mcq — 2013-02-01T19:57:17-05:00 — #6
First off, the "current version" is a big improvement on the old one, but the draft one is the cleanest and most modern looking one, so good job on getting it looking nice.
About the "draft" version, here are the things i noticed first.
Tagline font is a little small. Is there a difference between a heater, a heat pump, and a heating system anyway? Does the title not
pretty well spell out what it is? I would have something a little more descriptive about what you do, rather than repeat the same thing a few different ways. Even if there is a difference, maybe still a little change here could be good.
The call to action (in red - "get help choosing") is very nice, but it's a little redundant to have the same thing in the section below. Maybe eliminate the find help section below, free up a little space. On the next column over, "Shop" and "compare prices" seem like they are fighting to be the subtitle, maybe just pick one.
Below the fold, the section "why buy from us" has very small font, and lots of it. I would maybe go with some bullet points that make it concise and quick to read.
Also the menus on the left seem very crowded. Also, along with the font in the "why buy.." section, maybe a different font, or something bigger. Sorry, i'm not a font expert, but it just doesn't look very inviting to read.
The footer is very nice looking, as are the three titles on the left sidebar menu. I would try to make all the body text look as good(not the same, but as polished and professional looking.
Hope this helps!
iq_catch — 2013-02-04T20:38:28-05:00 — #7
Just moving the mouse over the main area does not seem very interactive to me "Start here: Click for prices" and the sub headings under that, would prefer to use some type of hover effect here to give the site a bit more wow factor.
steve_k1 — 2013-02-10T10:15:47-05:00 — #8
wow what a difference, boy did it need upgrading
not a designer just a potential customer
The logo, i didn't like the white fading at the top, it needs to stand out and this has the opposite affect, try it in the red box with the pictures of the heatpumps,
the menu, this needs to do something when you hover over it,
the vertical list, the text needs to stand out more, nice hover, maybe a lighter background colour and more space between the text lines,
the 3 features with blue header, I like this it adds some colour to the site,
why buy from us, will anybody read all that? its just marketing BS and is wasting homepage space, show me more pool heaters
do you sell to the trade? I couldn't find any reference to the fact,
boneyp — 2013-02-14T14:52:40-05:00 — #9
that is amazing improvement. I liked the second design alot. The first site looked like a spam site
varindia — 2013-02-16T06:57:37-05:00 — #10
I would prefer the current and draft page. It would be appreciable if some action on mouse over to the menu links (sometimes the present menu falsify them to be simple text). The draft page has red color sale has positive impact on visitors.
nat3 — 2013-02-17T16:56:17-05:00 — #11
First off, the new site is a HUGE improvement over the old one, great job!
A few suggestions:
- I would add some padding to the left side of the search textbox.
- It would look nice if you would make the Live Chat button change color on mouse over.
- There is not enough padding around the "shop featured pool heaters" images on the home page.
- Unrelated to site design, but it really seems like you should have some sort of captcha on the contact us page to help with spam.
- Why do you have a contact and an email page? They seem redundant and customers may be confused on which one they should use.
mittineague — 2014-09-14T02:40:02-04:00 — #12
This topic is now archived. It is frozen and cannot be changed in any way.