Feeling Lost

Hey all

Basically looking for some advice, i used to play around with html, css js and php. this was just went html5 was starting to be talked about, probably a few years ago now.

i want to get back into it but im feeling so lost, i dont know where to begin
do we use html5, css3? is it used every where?
should all sites now have a mobile version
should i still be using divs to seperate the page or do i use sections or a combination of both
do i need to learn a CMS, is Wordpress still widely used? should i be focusing on installing a CMS and learning that instead or as well.

I would like to probably start by finding something/some sort of site and trying to mimic it and build it from scratch

Feeling a bit lost on where to begin

Not sure if there is a thing but if anyone has any ideas on where to pick p or begin or any suggestions at all anything would be appreciated

Ive got myself wamp server and download Atom 1.0 which seems nice
got the Full adobe Master Collection cs 6 so can probably use either ps or fireworks if needed for graphics
but yeah still feeling lost :frowning:

Hey @maknib, welcome back. :slight_smile:

Pretty much yes these days. (There are ways to account for older browsers, if you need to.)

Certainly not should. Well, they all do, really, because you can view any site on mobile. But there are CSS ways to make the layout better on small screens—via CSS media queries—that have become popular.

Combo of both, depending on the need.

Also optional. WP is still popular, but there are many great new options out there, such as Statamic and Craft, to name but two.

Better to find a project that actually needs to be built—even just something personal.

Remember the Nike motto. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you need motivation or inspiration, consider one of the great courses offered at SitePoint. E.g. https://www.sitepoint.com/premium/courses/getting-started-with-css-2903

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.