FF print truncates content

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have a really annoying problem with Firefox - it keeps truncating my content in print preview.

When I resize the font the content doesn’t flow onto the next page - it just disappears!

I have tried overflow, clear, page-break etc with no result, any ideas?

Steven

On what page? Is it a site specific problem or is it for everything?

A lot of your re-re fixed width sites have these types of issues – especially if the re-re who made the page didn’t bother putting the MEDIA attribute on their CSS embeds, resulting in their screen layout garbage trying to be sent to the printer.

In FF you MIGHT be able to get around this by making sure that in file>page setup the “shrink to fit page width” checkbox is enabled… but I wouldn’t bank on it given how totally useless FF and IE both are when it comes to actually printing pages or SHOCK obeying print stylesheets.

As Jason said we’d need to see the page concerned to debug further.

Firefox does have a number of bugs with printing and unless you have simplified the styles sheet and removed floats, widths,heights tables and overflow you are likely to run into bugs.

Printing is something that browsers don’t do well yet.

it keeps truncating my content in print preview.

When I resize the font the content doesn’t flow onto the next page - it just disappears!

I have tried overflow
Following up on what Paul said: (about overflow)

When you only see One Page in FF print preview it is a good indicator that you have overflow:auto/hidden/scroll; on the main wrapping div.

In your printing styles: remove overflow completely from any main wrapping divs or set it to visible.

I ran into that bug just a few days ago with one of my own pages. I did have some floats in the header and I was able to print successfully with them since they were at the top of the page.

It sounds like the most likely cause is that you’re floating your main content block (or possibly some other fancy-schmancy positioning). Floated elements don’t continue onto the next page. Simple solution - remove all floats, fancy positioning and widths from the main content blocks in your print stylesheet, and let it flow down the page as nature intended.

Hi I have got this css for all parent divs - but it still keeps happening!

float:none !important;
overflow:visible !important;

Is it just a FF bug?

Have you got a link to the page so that we can check?

It sounds like it will probably be a bug anyway as there are many where printing is concerned.