Field Order and Performance

Does the order of Fields affect the performance of a Table?

For example, if my table has…

• id
    - email
  • hash
  • temp_password
  • temp_reset_on
  • first_name
  • last_name
  • reg_date
  • reg_ip
  • activation_code
  • created_on
  • updated_on

…and I moved “email” - which is a commonly used and important field - to the end like this…

• id
  • hash
  • temp_password
  • temp_reset_on
  • first_name
  • last_name
  • reg_date
  • reg_ip
  • activation_code
  • created_on
  • updated_on
    - email

…then how would that affect the performance of my Table and Queries?

Debbie

makes no difference

why in heaven’s name would it even occur to you to move it?

Are you certain about that?? (I remember learning in my Oracle classes that it does make a difference…)

why in heaven’s name would it even occur to you to move it?

I created my table with the fields in “Order of Importance”.

Now I think it would make them easier to work with if they - or some - were in “Order of Process Flow”.

For example, you have an “activation_code” before you would have a “temp_password”.

Likewise, you need a “salt” before you can create a “hash”.

It is a minor point, but detail matters!!!

Anyways, I think that the Left-to-Right Order of your columns does affect query speeds… (I think it is how the database stores the data and accesses it in “memory blocks”, but who knows?!) :cool:

Debbie

in that case, don’t move it :smiley:

Seriously, is that correct or not?

You seem to thing it doesn’t matter, but I recall in Oracle it could make a difference if you had a really big table…

Debbie

1. the table you showed isn’t a really big table
  2. this ain’t oracle

stop obsessing over the tiniest details, deb

if you’re worried about performance, test it for yourself – do before and after EXPLAINs

I know, but I figured it is better to ask now versus later.

stop obsessing over the tiniest details, deb

Why, do I “obsess”?

if you’re worried about performance, test it for yourself – do before and after EXPLAINs

I don’t understand what you mean?

How would I do those fancy queries that say “Executed 10,000 records in 0.15 seconds” or whatever?!

Debbie

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/using-explain.html

Take it for what it’s worth, but it does look like there is/was a slight performance improvement - in Oracle only (from what I can tell) on UPDATES (and really, the only benefit was in rolling back a large number of updates), but the only result I can find on a search are from 2008, so I wouldn’t be able to verify whether the claims are accurate or not anymore. And even then, the performance difference was minimal and it only made a difference on large (100K+ row) updates.

The only other place where I’ve seen an order be affected was on a query dealing with memo/text fields, but that was classic asp and ADO, and TBH, I don’t believe that problem even exists anymore. It had nothing to do with the table or the performance, but rather how the ADO handled the values within the recordset returned.