File Upload with Progress Bar compatible with IE7 and non-flash based

I need to create a file uploader to upload video files to a server. The requirement from the client is that it does not require flash plugin and that it will work on IE going back to and including IE7. The uploader must include a progress indicator to show how much of the file has uploaded. The client is using shared hosting so installing any additional PHP modules such as APC may not be possible. So essentially looking for php/css/javascript only solution.

The following looks promising: http://phpfileuploader.com though not sure how this is able to achieve what I require when there does not appear to be any other similar solutions. For this reason, I wanted to get a second opinion before purchasing this solution.

All advice appreciated.

The one you pointed to seems to be a good solution for you, has the browser support you asked for and seems to meet the requirements (says it contains no addons).

I’ve also been helping another user with http://www.sitepoint.com/html5-file-drag-and-drop/, It is backwards compatible (or at least seems to be), but you can’t drag and drop in older versions, you’d have to use the Browse… button and when using that process, I can’t promise that a progress bar indicator shows (I’m not certain if it does or not).

(as an aside, you’ll probably find more people unable/unwilling to use javascript than flash, nowadays)

Thanks for the reply cpradio and the reassurance. The drag and drop functionality sounds great too - I will check that out.

Many thanks

Seriously? That is very useful to know and as a result I will be sure to check with my client that this is not going to be an issue. As a flash developer, I am most pleased to hear it is not the lowest card in the pack:)

One thing to consider and this is just based on my own personal experience. Usually when a client tells me “no flash”, it means “I want to be able to use this on my iPad or iPhone”. So you may want to ask that so it doesn’t become part of scope creep later.

I also agree with StarLion that Flash is usually more acceptable than JavaScript, I know a lot of people that flat out disable JavaScript anymore.