File (.zip) is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous

Hello Everyone,

I’m not sure if it’s a right place to ask this. Mods please feel free to move this thread to right forum.

I’ve uploaded a Zip file consisting a setup file (.exe) of some program on my server. But, whenever I try to download it using Google Chrome or IE 9 dialogue box appears saying “.zip is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous”, whereas Mozilla Firefox shows nothing. I’m 100% confident that this file is’nt malicious at all. Here is the url/link to download file:

http://www.iphone-to-pc.com/dl/iphonetransfersms.zip

This is something very annoying as nobody will download the file and install on their computer. Some folks are doing it without any problem using some redirection or something like that. For example:

wwwgutensoftcom/download/Tansee-iPhone-Transfer-SMSzip [B](replace "" with dot)[/B]

How to get rid of this false notification. Can anybody please help me?

1 Like

I don’t get a warning dialogue using Google Chrome v22

Hello Sir,

Thanks for the reply!

I’m using latest Chrome Version 23.0.1271.97 . Many visitors are complaining about this warning :frowning:

Any solution? It seems to be a common problem with Google Chrome. Someone posted a solution, but I didn’t get

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/webmasters/kaJ0cSw91Ng

[B]Your url says > Content-Type: application/x-zip-compressed

Wordpress download zip says > Content-Type: application/zip[/B]

Please elaborate it.

This is weird, as I don’t get any warnings in Google Chrome Version 24.0.1312.40 beta either…

What extensions do you have installed (if any)?

Add .htaccess (assuming you are running Apache) to your site with the following:

AddType application/zip .zip
Edit:

Added htaccess information regarding content-type

Few visitors using Chrome have also notified me about this warning. There are only two extensions enabled in my Chrome “SEOquake” and “StubleUpon”. Do I only need to add this syntax: AddType application/zip .zip in .htaccess file? I’m completely noob in this.

Yes, and you can add it to the very top of your .htaccess file.

Thank you for all your time!

I gave a try to this htaccess method but unfortunately no success. Now, I’m planning to upload this Zip file somewhere else, probably on MediaFire and then redirect wwwiphone-to-pccom/dl/iphonetransfersms*zip url towards that file. Would it be fine? I don’t want to use any direct link of MediaFire on my website.

This has to do with IE smartscreen filter and Google chrome’s way of “copying” the “reputation management” thingie, based on popularity - this is also a huge problem for many small developers