FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING vs. mysql_real_escape_string

Hi All,

I had been using only mysql_real_escape_string to clean my form input data before inserting into a mysql table.

Recently I came across PHP’s internal filter / validation functions, and I want to use them.

So my question is this:

If I use FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING & FILTER_SANITIZE_EMAIL to cleanup form input data do I have to then run it through mysql_real_escape_string before inserting into my database?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

If you do not have so much code in your project that you’re committed simply use PDO. It’s a lot less of a hassle.

I’d second the use of PDO.

If you’re not sure of the benefits, here’s a quick (imperfect) overview of the standard mysql library:

1. Variables get inserted into SQL string
  2. The SQL string as a whole is sent to MySQL
  3. MySQL parses the string passed as a single entity

Any unescaped data, as I’m sure you’re aware, can corrupt the query and cause all kinds of problems.

In PDO, however, it works a little something like (again, imperfect example to simplify):

1. The basic query string, without the variables inserted, is sent to MySQL
  2. MySQL figures out what to do when data (the variables) come in
  3. The variables are sent from PHP to MySQL via PDO. As they aren’t in the command string itself, they have no effect on the workings of the query
  4. If multiple sets of data are sent, the original set instructions (#2) are reimplemented, saving processing time

Wow! I really appreciate you guy’s recommendation of PDO. However implementing an abstraction layer is way beyond what I’m trying to do. I should have been more clear.

I’ve got a pretty simple form with a few fields, that gets stored in a DB upon submit, then emails me the info as well.

I was using mysql_real_escape_string to escape the data before inserting into the db, and I wanted to use FILTER_SANITIZE_EMAIL to prevent injection attacks.

Thus my question:

If I use FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING & FILTER_SANITIZE_EMAIL to cleanup form input data do I have to then run it through mysql_real_escape_string before inserting into my database?

Yes.

thankx

Just be warned that function is glitchy and doesn’t always work.

That has never been actually proven has it? Not saying you’re wrong but rather thinking out loud here :slight_smile: