Find out domain map

Hi,

I have some URLs that I believe are mapped to a different directory. Are there any tools I can use to find the mapped address?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Hi @ebsolutions – this could be a few things, but just to clarify do you mean that certain URLs redirect to different directories such as example.com/foo redirects to example.com/bar?

The first place I’d look is .htaccess in your web root to see if there are any rewrite rules. If you’re using a control panel such as cPanel there should be a section called Domains → Redirects. Redirects can also be configured at the code or framework level or CMS level (as plugins or modules), so it does depends what platform you’re using.

There are lots of tools you can use to audit the URLs and links on your site, most link checking tools will show you the HTTP response codes which will indicate redirection. Tools such as Screaming Frog can crawl all of the public URLs on your site, or you can even just use the developer tools in your browser to see the HTTP response codes for manual URLs you visit, you should see something like:

GET 301 Moved Permanently

Then you just have to track down where this is configured. Most of the time this will be set in the .htaccess file if you’re using a Unix-based web server.

Feel free to post more info if you have any questions :slight_smile: