Finding a full time job at a marketing/branding agency

Hi am getting to the point where I will be ready to look for a new job. I was curious if any one had advice on how they got a full time job as a web or graphic designer. I am looking to work for an agency like business that does client based work.

I’m aware of sites that post jobs like craigslist and indeed but it is super competitive when using those methods. I feel like it might also make me miss out on the many web design/marketing agencies out there that don’t use that method of advertising. I am also planning on applying out of state so I was hoping for another way.

I was thinking of just researching companies in the area and asking if they were hiring along with a link to my portfolio. Has that ever worked for anyone?

When I was looking for work most recently, I sent resumes and individualized cover letters to quite a few marketing agencies, development agencies, etc. along with portfolio links and such. Of them all, I did get one call, which turned into a job offer that I didn’t accept because I’d just accepted another. I’d say it was one out of… maybe ten blind emails of resume info.

For whatever that is worth. I’d say both methods are valid. Apply to listings on Monster/Indeed/CareerBuilder/Craigslist/etc - and go find companies’ websites and contact info and send them your details even if they aren’t posting positions.

I’m not sure how good you are at web design but communities like www.dribbble.com are very popular and have a job board https://dribbble.com/jobs but the competition at dribbble is insane, the designers there really kick a**! But a lot of big companies use dribbble for that reason - they get to choose from the best and are willing to pay for it.

Another website is www.behance.net which is very similar to dribble (created by adobe) and has a job board here https://www.behance.net/joblist - you don’t need an invitation to join this website.

Both websites are a great place to share your work and get inspiration from other designers.

Have you considered freelancing? Some people much like myself really enjoy freelancing over working for a company. You get to choose your hours, work from home, work on projects that you want to, charge what you want, make as much money as you want (depending on your skill ofc), ect… Freelancing is a great way to build up a nice portfolio, get lots of experience with both design and client relationships. Just something you should consider… You can also do freelancing while you find a job - and even on the side once you do find a job!

Hope this helped.

2 Likes

Well I have about a year and a half experience in web & graphic design. Yes I’m familiar with dribble and behance. The designers on those sites are a bit more advanced than I am so I doubt I would have any luck. I’m looking to work with an agency that caters more to small to medium businesses. But I agree those sites are great for inspiration.

I am actually doing a little freelance on the side and it’s good pocket change. I would love it if I could make a good living out of it full time. I’m just a little nervous when it comes to getting steady income. I do web and graphics for a company right now and know how clients can be. I would also have to make sure I get enough business to sustain me. If you have any advice on your success in freelancing I’d love to hear =)

I have a portfolio that I’m in the process of updating and am planning to have it finished for the new year so I can start applying soon. I would like to relocate in the near future and would like to find effective ways to find opportunities in finding a job.

Well congrats on the new job! So then how did you end up getting your current one?

This is probably one of the best resources I’ve used, the list of job boards is pretty trustworthy.

Just ran into it, I guess. Direct application, and I happened to do well in my interviews, enough to rise above other candidates with better experience than I had. Not the dream job, but it’s work and a steady paycheck :wink:

I work with a marketing agency in a different capacity, but I think this advice might still be helpful.

My advice is to build your network. Twitter is a great tool and the one that I use the most often. When you find companies that you like, follow their social accounts. You can use a tool like IFTTT to pull in Tweets from a Twitter search and create a daily digest of opportunities to follow up on.

I found my job through blogging and building my social profiles. My network contacts reached out to me when they had an opening and they already knew my work from our interactions online.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.