Finding things to write about

Hi Guys, i posted something similar to this before and the response i got was basically : “If you are passionate about what your writing about then you will be able to find the best things to write about first”

Whilst i agree with this its a little hard in the niche i am part of, my website is based around Tech, Games and Gadgets. I am passionate about technology and a big follower of it but i cant find things to write about. And when i DO find something to write about, its already been covered by several of the biggest tech sites out there. So if anyone could give me some help on finding things to write about before other sites do that would be great.

Also i’d appreciate if people didnt reply saying : “Write about what the big sites have already written about, but make your content better and readers will start wanting to visit your site more” - I understand content is king but there isnt a chance im going to be able to write better than paid professionals.

Thank you for your time,
-Michael

Don’t assume that. There is always another way to present a subject. For example, I often read articles written by experts but find that they’ve pitched the subject over my head. Your role could be to present the subject for a different audience—such as beginners. There is a huge need for beginner articles online, and that’s probably a great place to start to build up your confidence and to build an appreciative following. If you really love your subject, this will show through.

It sounds like you are seeking the holy grail of an “original thought” not once but on a regular basis. Which I don’t think is possible for most mortals.

When I’m looking for information on a tech product, I usually want to read several opinions from different people on it, so I understand a variety of pros & cons on the product or topic.

Your goal shouldn’t be the first to write on a topic or to write better content, it should be to write an interesting article about your view point on the topic.

Now I know that sounds a lot like what you didn’t want to hear but it is different in substance. But I think that is your way to successfully writing unless you want to write about completely random topics that nobody is searching for information on anyways ie Should I upgrade from Windows 3 to Windows 7?

I agree with both of the posts before this one. You can always put a new spin or point of view on information. Talk about your own experiences with the products you write about.

Another avenue you might want to look into for new information is Press Releases. Go to one or more of the many press release distributors and search for your topic. Press releases are usually put out there to promote new ideas, services, and products. They all have contact information. Use it to contact the business for details about their news and write about that.

You can also subscribe to many distribution centers for new press releases in your field of interest. Be aware that you will probably be deluged though and you may want to use an email account other than your normal one to sift through them all.

Before setting up a site, you need to have a business plan for it, and that includes two key factors: 1, how you are going to monetise it; 2, how you are going to generate the content. A field like tech, games and gadgets is, as you well know, absolutely saturated; there are squillions of sites out there covering those topics, and some of those sites are really good … and you don’t want to be competing against sites that are really good!

So you need to think about what you can offer that other sites don’t. Can you be first with the news? That’s a tricky one - unless you have inside contacts, you’re going to be largely limited to reading press releases and what other sites have already written. So to be one of the first, you’re going to have to devour press releases as soon as they come out and work them into articles. Do you have knowledge or skills that are better than most other people? If so, you might be able to take an old topic and put a new slant on it. You don’t have to be an expert, just to find an angle that other people haven’t.

At the end of the day, being a successful writer is not easy, and that is particularly true when you’re covering a sector that hundreds and thousands of other people are already writing about. If you are passionate about it, make sure that is reflected in your writing. Give your readers more than they’re getting from other sites. Talk to people IRL and online, and find out what they’re most interested in, and any areas where they feel the current clutch of tech sites out there is lacking - that might give you some pointers to where there is a gap in the market. And if you’re still struggling to find enough topics to write about, think about different strategies, whether there’s another business model you can use to develop your website without as much authorial content.

(This is why I have never blogged. I know that after week 3, I would run out of ideas completely!)

Well if you are passionate about technology, I suggest you should write about the latest news about the latest gadgets that has not been released in the market. This is kinda hard because you need to have contacts on companies so that you can get a scoop about the latest gadgets they’re going to release. Also, Try to write something that is newsworthy, for example online gaming events, product releases and promotions etc. So the task here is to work like a real reporter, so that you can get scoops for your website

I agree with what most people have said before but you know what i think it comes down to something very simple. Its finding your own inimitable style. The internet is great for research for us writers and we will find enough information to fill a thousand books. The reason why some writers are bookmarked and others are not is simply because they have a unique style (when disseminating that information) and they are very aware of who their target market is.

I think identifying and being able to define your audience is key. Its the approach I take and it really does help when you are trying to decide how to focus your energies.

I’m not sure what your niche is, but sometimes when I want my writing to be better than everything else that is “out there”, I will take the niche subject and write about the history of how something got started and how it has progressed to what it is today. Its fun, and interesting to write. Hope this helps.

Originality is what will definitely set you apart in the content war. Whenever I have writer’s block or fail to see a unique spin on a subject, I try to revert back to my personal experiences. Your experiences are not my experiences. Therefore, the content you write will always be unique and, hopefully, compelling to your visitors.

Have you tried being creative and original? Always works for me… :slight_smile:
And I mean “thinking out of the box”.
Surprize your audience, tell them a story…

Writing about it from a personal perspective always tends to keep it fresh and fun. Besides this, the more focused a topic is, I find that it gets more interesting. Pick an aspect that hits home hard, and you’ll find plenty of fun stuff to type/ write.

What you can do is write reviews about tech stuff. It will be your own opinion about the article/product/services so it is unique

One thing that I like to do is carry a notebook with me where ever I go. This way if I have a neat idea, I write it down. Then when I return to the computer, I pull out my notebook and none of my ideas are lost. I have a tendency to be creative when I am away from the computer.

This has been an issue for some and even for myself. Writing can sometimes be frustrating and of course, we would want our readers to discover new things other than what’s already been posted on the web. But since our ideas or topics can sometimes be duplicated, why not write it with a touch of your own personality? Informative articles are indeed helpful but it can garner more audience if you can include some of your everyday experience -in this case, using your gadgets.

I have been writing for quite a while and I always encounter this issue. When I ran out of ideas, I usually go outside and observe the things around me. I bring my notebook and list those things that interest me. You can also ask the opinion of your family and friends and let them talk about their experience in life. You can really learn a lot and create a good article. I hope this helps.

I suggest alternating your thoughts based on imagination and experiences. It’s like having “story telling a lie” (fiction writing) and creating true stories based on personal or somebody else’s experiences