Firefox has Reader View

I just noticed a strange symbol in my Firefox address bar

Hovering over it showed the tooltip “Enter Reader View”

Clicking it changed the page to look like

I can’t say that I’ll use it often, but I find it interesting.

I noticed that too. Actually, it was FF throwing it in my face yesterday with an annoying tooltip like popup which I closed.
But today that symbol has disappeared again? :confused:

Hmmm. quirky?
It isn’t there on this page for me, even with a refresh. But it’s there on other pages.

Which version of FF is that. I’ve got the latest 38.0.5 here on Win8.1, but I’m not seeing it. Nothing for it seems to show on the menu options either.

I have Firefox 38.0.5 on Windows 7

I haven’t found it in my options UI, but about:config (filtered for “reader”) has these which might have something to do with it

browser.reader.detectedFirstArticle;true
browser.uitour.readerViewTrigger;^https:\/\/www\.mozilla\.org\/[^\/]+\/firefox\/reading\/start

Hmmm, I wonder if one of my addons that I updated the other day decided to toss in an “extra”

Didn’t they just copy this from the preview of Microsoft Edge?

I’ve got FF38.0.5 on W7 as well, and yesterday it was there. It even displayed this popup thingy to point me to it. So it’s not just you or one of your addons.

Hm that first setting says article, and indeed, if you open an article on the SP forum, the little book icon appears.

Definitely quirky or I just don’t understand it.
It wasn’t there for this topic earlier, now it’s back.

Yes weird. Doesn’t show for me.

Is it picking up on something in the HTML semantics, perhaps, that would indicate the reader is a valid option?

That’s what I thought. But then, why does it show for mittineague on this page, and not for me?

It hasn’t the last couple of times I’ve been here.

@TechnoBear do you see it?

Yes.

But so far I’ve been unable to get anything other than “Failed to load article from page” when I try to use it.

Hmmm, It was there just now and it worked for. me. Nice to to see the smilies weren’t larger than the avatars this time (vB vs. Emoji?)

I can get it to work on other sites, but not here:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.