Flash Game: Action Script 2: Basic Pathfinder

Hello all, its been a while :slight_smile:

I’m currently working on this point and click game where the user click on a map and the character will follow the [target placed on the ground] So far I have managed to create a character that limit itself to the boundaries of the map and that follows the target icon whenever the map its clicked.

The situation:
My game it is not tile based but it does have a tile based node system. What I want to be able to do is to hard code the nodes in each map, while then create the program that will validate these nodes by adding them. That way I can control and or erase nodes that are non walkable for my character.

I have tried pathfinding algorithms but they seem to advanced for me. I seem to understand the words but the practice is a failure. Can anyone guide me in my initial stages.

Right now I have my nodes hard placed on the map they are called “node_mc” all of them. I think the first thing I need to do is to re-name them all like “node_mc1”, “node_mc2”, “node_mc3” etc… etc… etc… to differentiate them or can I leave them like that? Please look at the picture attached.

• Thank you in advanced.

¡Hola! ¿Como estan los coquis?

Well I haven’d coded AS in like 4 years, and AS2 in like 6. Sorry If I don’t whip up a script off the top of my head.

I would suggest the following logic.

1. Store your bodes in a 2 dimensional array. eg.:grid [y]
  2. you could then have a player grid position(PGP), where the player is at , and Target grid position (TGP), where the player wants to go.
  3. in the grid there will ALWAYS be 8 adjacent blocks to the PGP. You could then recursively loop trough these checking the nodes.
    -if it’s a ‘blocked’ or ‘impassable’ node skip to next node.
    • if the block y value is the closest of all 8 to the TGP then remember that blocks ‘Y’
    • if the block X value is the closest of all 8 to the TGP then remember that blocks ‘X’
    • Move the player to the node stored in grid[y]/etc.
    • IF the X/Y of the player DO NOT mach the X/Y of the target repeat/ else wait for new target

Since you have only stored (mapped) the position of the nodes in a grid virtually’ in the array… you should be able to retain the rest of your coding strategy.

Hopefully that helps

Jeje! los coquies estan bien :slight_smile:

Thanks you for the example. Now here is where my biggest problem lies. I don’t seem to see the big picture after reading. So, I will start with numero 1.

1. Store nodes in a 2D Array called: Grid[y]
  • Since I will be hard coding/placing the nodes to the stage I will tell each node to push it’s own coordinate on event(load) to the main Grid[y] on the root. And that will create my Main Grid System.

NOTE: My character already follows it’s own target. On click the stage, the character will center itself to the disk_locator. Now How do the point system works with this method?

• Thanks