Flash is Dead

So today, I finally disabled my flash plugin.

Why? Because my computer runs Linux, Adobe dropped Flash support for Linux, and now the latest version of flash that you can use on Linux has known security vulnerabilities.

Please bear this in mind, I expect it is only a matter of time before most Linux users disable their flash plugins. In my mind it is more important now than ever to take advantage of HTML5 features

Annoyingly, a lot of major websites still depend on you having flash for videos. These include Facebook and BBC.

Google Chrome hasn’t been using the Adobe Flash plugin for ages. It uses PepperFlash. It seems Firefox still wishes to use Adobe Flash Player though…

1 Like

For the record, here’s the Chrome source: http://blog.chromium.org/2012/08/the-road-to-safer-more-stable-and.html

People should already not be using it, especially if not on the Google maintained version. But yeah, I think you’re making the right call. The big players will get on board. YouTube did it, and the rest will follow as Flash usage drops.

Also, not all Facebook video is served Flash by default (I think it’s some platforms/browsers, some not)?

I found a page about using “Fresh Player” in Firefox as a wrapper to Chromes PepperFlash. Haven’t actually managed to get it to work though.

It’s a shame that I have to choose between using Chrome, or not being able to view a large amount of web content. I do like Chrome, but I don’t like how Google tries to link your entire life up. I don’t feel comfortable offering my entire life’s information to Google on a plate, especially if they continue to grow into a monopoly where they can basically do what they like and your so tied in to their services that you have to go along with it (Microsoft of the future?).

I mean say they just changed their terms and conditions so they could do something you really don’t like with your data? You would have to think, hmmm, I can either just let them exploit me in a way I don’t like or completely uproot my life with all the google products and services I use, and find and implement alternatives.
To avoid going off topic, I’ve started this thread on the topic.

Opera doesn’t develop for Linux either now.

You can use Chromium if you don’t like Google’s built in features (or at least many of told me this to be the case).

Sure they do :wink: It just isn’t called Opera anymore.

I’ve never been a Firefox fan, so I haven’t bothered to try and find a solution for flash in Firefox on Linux. :frowning:

1 Like

Woohoo :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.