Font Squirrel Fonts

Font Squirrel says . . .

Fonts not loading in Firefox

The primary reason for this failure? You are still using a version Firefox older than 3.5. (My Version is 6.0.2) So upgrade already! If that isn’t it, then you are very likely serving fonts from a different domain. Firefox requires that all font assets be served from the same domain. Lastly it is possible that you need to add WOFF to your list of MIME types (if you are serving via IIS.)

If you are serving from Apache, you can add this to you .htaccess file to allow your site access to the fonts:

<FilesMatch “\.(ttf|otf|woff)$”>
<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin “*”
</IfModule>
</FilesMatch>
Or even better, since the above code will allow anyone to leach:

<FilesMatch “\.(eot|otf|woff|ttf)$”>
SetEnvIf Origin »
“^http(s)?://(.+\.)?(domain1\.org|domain\.com)$” origin_is=$0
Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin %{origin_is}e env=origin_is
</FilesMatch>
Just swap out your calling domains for the ones above. Credit for this method goes to Brooke Elgie

My site (domain) is GoDaddy.

I don’t know what “calling domains” are. I don’t know where it’s referring to when it says “the ones above?”

I’m not sure where, or how to place this.

Can anyone Help me with this?

Thanks . . . Rick

Using FontSquirrel fonts is pretty simple, so it shouldn’t require all that messing around. It looks to me like you have the font files in the wrong place. According to your file paths, those font files should be located here:

http://www.propertieswithstyle.com/css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.woff

But that link throws an error. So, the question is, what folder are these fonts stored in? (Make sure to tell us where this folder is in relation to the root folder—i.e. where the home page is.)

Basically the information that FontSquirrel returned to you is accurate, most apache servers by default will block unknown or extensions it feels is a threat to the server. Basically all you need to do is change

(domain1\\.org|domain\\.com)

to

(propertieswithstyle\\.com)

and once you have done that the @font-face kit should work fine.

mydesign root?
_notes ? ? ?
css
images
scripts
fonts
graphs

IT SHOULD BE . . .

mydesign root?
css
images
scripts
fonts
graphs

_notes has the following in the folder . . .cdmmap.html.mno ? ? ?

<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“utf-8” ?>
<info>
<infoitem key=“MMGuideColor” value=“#00FF00” />
<infoitem key=“MMGuideVisible” value=“true” />
<infoitem key=“MMGuideLocked” value=“false” />
<infoitem key=“MMSnapToGuide” value=“true” />
<infoitem key=“MMGuidesSnapToElements” value=“true” />
<infoitem key=“MMDistanceColor” value=“#0000FF” />
<infoitem key=“MMGuideCount” value=“2” />
<infoitem key=“MMGuide0” value=“vertical: user 1200 px” />
<infoitem key=“MMGuide1” value=“vertical: user 42 px” />
</info>

I do not now where the _notes folder comes from. I think it’s placed there by Dreamweaver.

The only thing I use Dreamweaver for is coding.

Can I remove this folder? I think it might be causing the problem.

Thanks . . . Rick

Where is this? (domain1\.org|domain\.com) I don’t see it anywhere.

Rick

It’s in the second section of .htaccess code included in your first post:

<FilesMatch "\\.(eot|otf|woff|ttf)$">
SetEnvIf Origin »
"^http(s)?://(.+\\.)?[COLOR=#b22222](domain1\\.org|domain\\.com)[/COLOR]$" origin_is=$0
</FilesMatch>

So, for your domain, the full code to add to the .htaccess file would be:

<FilesMatch "\\.(eot|otf|woff|ttf)$">
SetEnvIf Origin »
"^http(s)?://(.+\\.)?[COLOR=#b22222](propertieswithstyle\\.com)[/COLOR]$" origin_is=$0
</FilesMatch>

Victorinox . . . that was a copy & paste directly from font Squirrel on the Firefox error.

I have never seen that file. Where is it!

Is it in the Tangerine download folder from Font Squirrel?

Thanks . . . Rick

Did you actually upload the FontSquirrel fonts to your server? Are they in your /fonts/ folder? Is your /fonts/ folder directly inside your main root/home folder? It seems like the fonts are not there.

The code you posted in your first post is meant to go in a special file called a .htaccess file. But before you crawl down that rabbit hole, I think you should check the more obvious things, as outlined in my questions in this post.

Unzipped them and placed them in my font folder which is directly under the css folder as shown above.

I also upgraded Firefox to 9.0.2 - same problem, and my android HTC phone - the same problem also.

I can’t figure it out.

I spent time on-line following Paul’s blog and other post but it seems I have the “right stuff” if you will.

The fonts work in IE 8 and Chrome.

Thanks . . .

When you say your fonts folder is “under” your CSS folder, do you mean it’s in the same folder as the CSS folder, or inside the CSS folder? At the moment, your CSS links are telling the browser to find your font folder inside your CSS folder (but in a rather awkward way, as the links are saying “go up one folder, then come back into this folder, then find the fonts folder in here …”).

I’m not sure what you mean?

My CSS FontSquirrel structure . . .

@font-face {	font-family: 'tangerine';
			     src: url('/css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot');
			     src: local("&#9786;"),
 	                     src: url('/css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),
	         	url('/css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.woff') format('woff'),
 	        	url('/css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.ttf') format('truetype'),
	         	url('/css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.svg[COLOR="#0000FF"]#TangerineRegular') format('svg')[/COLOR];
    			font-weight: normal;
    			font-style: normal;
}

What about the section in blue?

Attached is my FileZilla Server Side Directory (.jpg)

Fonts work in IE but not in Chrome or Firefox.

I’m bedazzled!

thanks . . . rick

I get a 404 error for that file, too, but the other font formats (svg, ttf and oet) are in that directory. Maybe need to redo the woff format and try again? I’ve never used @font-face, so I’m guessing. :slight_smile:

“Property src doesn’t exist :url(‘//css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot’)”

“Property src doesn’t exist : local(”???"),

Then it goes on to list the four fonts types . . .

Property src doesn’t exist then list the .oet .woff .ttf .svg along with font-weight, font-style and font-variant doesn’t exist.

With my limited knowledge it appears that I’m not selecting my path to the fonts correctly.

Based on the folders image in my previous post, just how do I point to the font folder?

src: url(‘…css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot’);
or
src: url(‘…/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot’);
or
src: url(‘…/css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot’);

Oh . . . what does a parse error mean . . ?

Thanks much . . . Rick

It’s almost like I’m back where I started.

This works well in IE 8 but not in Chrome

@font-face {font-family: 'tangerine';
		  src: url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot');  /* IE9 Compat Modes */
 		  src: url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),  /* IE6-IE8 */
		      url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.woff') format('woff'),  /* Modern Browsers */
 		      url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.ttf') format('truetype'),  /* Safari, Android, iOS */
		      url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.svg#TangerineRegular') format('svg'); /* Legacy iOS */
		font-weight:normal;
		font-style:normal;
		font-variant:normal;
        }

I searched the Internet for all @font-face postings and Chrome but haven’t found an answer.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks . . . and I’ll continue to search for an answer . . .

Rick

As your font folder is inside your css folder:

src: url(fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot);

If I remove this . . . src: local(“:smiling_face:”), line of code from the CSS then the fonts render properly in Chrome but NOT in IE 8???

If I insert it back into the css page it renders properly in IE 8 but NOT in Chrome???

Here is the complete CSS . . .

@font-face {	font-family: 'tangerine';
			src: url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot');  /* IE9 Compat Modes */
 			src:  url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.eot#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),  /* IE6-IE8 */
		              url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.woff') format('woff'),  /* Modern Browsers */
 		              url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.ttf') format('truetype'),  /* Safari, Android, iOS */
		              url('../css/fonts/Tangerine_Regular-webfont.svg#svgTangerine_Regular') format('svg'); /* Legacy iOS */
			font-weight:normal;
			font-style:normal;
			font-variant:normal;
}

I’ve been working on this for two days now.

H E L P . . .

Thanks . . . Rick

You aren’t really listening to what’s been said above. The font is not there. Upload it again, fix your file paths, and don’t ess with the code that Font Squirrel gave you.

Ralph - can you explain that graphically?

Rick

See post #15. @ralph_m was asking whether or not your fonts folder is inside your css folder, and according to the screenshot you posted, it is. The path to the folder that you are using is more complex than it needs to be.

I don’t know what inside or outside is. Do you mean above or below?