Force Font

Hi, there is a specific font that i have used in a certain section of my website design. I know that this font will NOT be on 99.9% of my users computers… so is there a way to apply this font to certain text, without having to use images for the text…

If you can suggest away, can you confirm that it is compatible across all browsers…

The best way to do this these days is to use @font-face. This means that you place the font files on your site so that most or all users will have access to them. Of course, you need to have permission to use the font this way, but there are thousands of fonts available for this purpose. You can find lots of free ones at the FontSquirrel site, and Google also has free fonts you can use. Or you can head over to sites like FondDeck and TypeKit and pay a small fee for the rights to use the font on your site. So there are lots of options nowadays other than images. :slight_smile:

Ok cool, thanks… does this work on all browsers… and can you set a secondary font such as arial if the browser does not support it…

Yes, certainly. It’s well supported across browsers, and you can set the usual fallback fonts, too. You just put the embedded font at the start of the list, and have all your fallbacks listed after that. :slight_smile:

Ok cool, thanks… final question… do you think it would be better to use the @font-face (using your own font files) or google web fonts (linking to their server) as i have found a font on google web fonts that is very similar…

Personally, I don’t like Google fonts. (I’ve not found them too reliable … but it may depend on the particular font in question.) In my experience, the FontSquirrel fonts are the most reliable, so firstly see if they have the font you are after.

I don’t think it’s a problem to link to a font external to your site, though. It may actually load faster (as those big sites often optimize their delivery). I’ve used both TypeKit and FontDeck, which serve up the fonts for you, and they both work fine.

Ok cool, thanks Ralph