Foreign website has asked permission to translate my content... need advice!

I and a few others run a fairly small but popular website that has been doing quite well, having developed quite a loyal following. I’m not going to bore you with details but it’s fairly unique content not available anywhere else.

A fairly large, non-english foreign website (we’re talking millions of views per month and a very good Alexa rank for their Country) has approached me to ask whether I would give permission for them to translate my content into their language for publication on their site. They have assured me that full credit and backlinks will be provided.

Whilst I’m pretty chuffed they want to do this, and think it would be good exposure for our site, I just wanted to get a few other peoples’ opinion, and any conditions I should insist upon. Obviously, the backlinks are vital, but what else?

Would I be right to assume that Google won’t flag this as duplicate content as it will be in another language, plus a link back to the original source?

I say go for it!

But make sure that their backlinks can be followed by search engines (that is, they aren’t flagged with rel=nofollow), so you get the full search benefits that your site deserves.

[FONT=verdana]You should definitely go for it. It won’t be flagged as duplicate content, and it would give you much greater exposure than you could get on your own. But take note of what Shaun said about Nofollow. Also make sure it is a proper professional translation, not one that’s computer-generated, otherwise it will make you look silly.

I suggest you also link to their translation from the original pages (and write the anchor text in their language; for example Versión en español de este artículo or whatever). This will be a good service to provide to some of your visitors.

Mike
[/FONT]

They are doing it because of money (adsence probably). From their point of view - I get great concent in price of student translation for backlinks, nice deal :slight_smile:

Dont worry about this, human translation is far more natural then cube google algorithm.