Form placing two sets of same data into the database

hi,

I have recently created a form. everything works fine except for the fact that it places two sets of correct data into the database instead of one, once the submit button is clicked.

Below is the relevant php:

<?php require_once("includes/connection.php");
include("includes/functions.php");
//form validation
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
$errors=array();
$requiredfields=array('site_use'=>'Please enter web site type','biz_type'=>'Please enter your business details','market'=>'Please enter the market question','style'=>'Please answer the style question If not sure just put unsure','message'=>'Please answer the message question If not sure just put unsure','branding'=>'Please answer the branding question If not sure put unsure','budget'=>'Please enter a budget figure','images'=>'Please state if you can provide images','name'=>'Please enter your name','email'=>'Please enter your email so we can contact you','aftercare'=>'Please state if you are wish to have aftercare services');
foreach($requiredfields as $fieldname => $requiredfieldsmessage){
if(!isset($_POST[$fieldname]) || empty($_POST[$fieldname]) || strlen(trim($_POST[$fieldname])) == 0) /*|| $_POST[$fieldname]==""*/ {
$errors[] = $requiredfieldsmessage;
}
}
 if(count($errors) == 0){

$_POST = array_map('mysqli_prep', $_POST);

//end form validation
$name  = mysqli_prep($_POST['name']);
$email  = mysqli_prep($_POST['email']);
$tel  = mysqli_prep($_POST['tel']);
$site_use  = mysqli_prep($_POST['site_use']);
$biz_type  = mysqli_prep($_POST['biz_type']);
$market  = mysqli_prep( $_POST['market']);
$style  = mysqli_prep( $_POST['style']);
$message  = mysqli_prep($_POST['message']);
$branding  = mysqli_prep($_POST['branding']);
$budget  = mysqli_prep($_POST['budget']);
$images  = mysqli_prep($_POST['images']);
$aftercare = mysqli_prep($_POST['aftercare']);
$query = "INSERT into briefing_form (
name,email,tel,site_use,biz_type,market,style,message,branding,budget,images,aftercare)Values('{$name}','{$email}','{$tel}','{$site_use}','{$biz_type}','{$market}','{$style}','{$message}','{$branding}','{$budget}','{$images}','{$aftercare}')";
$result = mysqli_query($connection, $query);
$message="You have recieved a briefing form";
$subject="briefing form";
$subject2="Your Quote";
$message2="Thank you for contacting us. We will forward a quote to this address.";
$email2=$email;
mail('*****',$subject,$message);
mail($email2, $subject2, $message2);
$result = mysqli_query($connection, $query);
header("Location: http://www.mysite/brief_return.php");
exit;
}
}
?>

and a snippet from the form:

<form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="post"><td style="padding:20px">
<p >What is your type of business, what are are your products and/or services?</p>
<textarea name="biz_type" cols="40" rows="5"   > <?php echo htmlspecialchars($_POST['biz_type'],ENT_QUOTES); ?></textarea></td>
</tr>

Anyone any ideas why the form is doing this?

thanks

Heh, it’s because you execute mysql_query twice. :smiley:

After resolving the duplicate mysqli_query statement, you may also wish to investigate what happens when someone double-clicks on the submit button. Many peoeple do that for some reason.

…yes…just a test…i wondered how long it would someone to notice the unbearably obvious:blush::blush:

thanks works fine now!

pmw57 wrote:

After resolving the duplicate mysqli_query statement, you may also wish to investigate what happens when someone double-clicks on the submit button. Many peoeple do that for some reason.

thanks I did try it but it didnt throw up a problem and only put the data in once.

cheers

Oh that’s good. I’m still unsure as to whether links or button, or get or post are affected by multiple clicks.

Just a heads up, but all these mysqli_prep calls are not needed as you array_map this function call to $_POST earlier on. :wink:

$name  = mysqli_prep($_POST['name']);
$email  = mysqli_prep($_POST['email']);
$tel  = mysqli_prep($_POST['tel']);
$site_use  = mysqli_prep($_POST['site_use']);
$biz_type  = mysqli_prep($_POST['biz_type']);
$market  = mysqli_prep( $_POST['market']);
$style  = mysqli_prep( $_POST['style']);
$message  = mysqli_prep($_POST['message']);
$branding  = mysqli_prep($_POST['branding']);
$budget  = mysqli_prep($_POST['budget']);
$images  = mysqli_prep($_POST['images']);
$aftercare = mysqli_prep($_POST['aftercare']);

hi anthony, I see what you mean. I did it in the form validation bit. But i would still need to assign a variable here to each form element wouldnt I?

i.e.

$tel  = $_POST['tel'];

I did it in the form validation bit

No, you did it after.
Form validation ended before if(count($errors) == 0) line.
As from it’s name, mysqli_prep does nothing to form validation, but it belongs to SQL preparation. I’s different things.

i would still need to assign a variable here to each form element wouldn’t I?

There can be a way, if you have all field names in the $requiredfields array.
If so, you can loop over that array and compose a query string.

Edit:
Another double found :slight_smile:
isset($_POST[$fieldname]) is unnecessary, because following empty() will check if variable is set

thanks for that input. im getting there. All these doubles, ive decided to open both eyes when im writing code:eye: