Forum rules template?

Does anyone have an example of typical message board rules? I want to post something like this on a forum I set up but realized that I don’t exactly know how to start writing one. Just an example will do, something to give me ideas on my own rules.

To be honest, no one can make your rules and policies for you. All forums are going to be run differently and therefore have a unique set of guidelines/rules. It isn’t as hard as you may think, make a list of 10 things to start off and go from there. By the time you get done with the obvious things (no advertising, personal attacks, respect admins, etc.), you’ll be nearly done.

I understand what you’re saying but I’m not asking to copy someone elses rules. Of course I intend to make my own but what I’m asking for is an example of the obvious rules like what you mentioned so I can start from there.

make a rules page or thread

start off with sonething simple like
‘Treat other members the way you would like to be treated’

As the board grows, the rules should write themselves when you will see which problems arise:)

Originally posted by goma
I understand what you’re saying but I’m not asking to copy someone elses rules. Of course I intend to make my own but what I’m asking for is an example of the obvious rules like what you mentioned so I can start from there.

Well, I still don’t necessarily agree with you, but here are some:

http://www.sitepointforums.com/help.php?action=guidelines&loc=show

Thanks! :slight_smile: