Forum search system

Forum software has never been good with searching a specific term. Especially vBulletin even with Sphinx integration results can be way off. The main problem is that we urge our members to search before post, but in more than 50% searches they are not finding a solution to their troubles.

I have been vBulletin moderator for over 5 years and this has been our constant struggle. We give users warnings because they are not searching and they get frustrated because they are not finding what they are looking for. We “solved” this problem by offering two options to search. One is the regular vBulletin search with Sphinx integration and other with Google. Google results are remarkable for any forum software plus it gives us extra income from Google Adsense. The only downfall is that Google wont search “right now” threads.

I opened this here because I think it is related to Sitepoint search. Please move if its not in appropriate forum category.

Thanks for the suggestion. Although there has been some improvements to the the forum search engine and SP did a terrific work with it, you’re right. vBulleting is rubbish when searches are concerned.

I find myself using google and writing “sitepoint” before the specific term to look for something in the forum.

I’ll bring this thread to the attetion of our administrator, @HAWK;

She may want to look into this.

It’s nice of you to let your visitors use Google. :lol: No doubt you mean that they can search Google from within your site … but I’m not sure if there’s much difference between this and letting them just Google independently. I always go straight to Google if I want to search for anything here. I’ve come across very few sites whose search facility was worth a cracker.

The only downfall is that Google wont search “right now” threads.

May depend on the site, because Google seems to index threads in this forum almost instantly. Heck, if a spam thread is up for even a few minutes before we zap it. it seems to end up in the search results for a while.

With Google Adsense for search Sitepoint can make direct income from Google ads. Plus it saves resources. Customization part is done nicely.

Downfall is that Google is bit stingy and on occasions they wont share much with the site owners. I assume as Sitepoint being such a popular website you could strike specific deal with Google.

I don’t recall if there was Adsense or not, but SitePoint had additional search links to search.sitepoint.com before the vBulletin upgrade.

I don’t know why it’s gone, but maybe it could be brought back.