Forum Upgrade : A Sneak Preview

Since I promised you an upgrade last week and it still hasn’t happened (we are ironing out little bugs!) I thought it only fair to give you a sneak preview of what you are in store for.

I know that some of you will love it and some of you will hate it - that’s life. :wink:

My posts count will increase, maybe. To come to the conclusion you have, for all you know SitePoint may not be around then.

You however stop at Wizard. How unoriginal… Couldn’t they have done: Wizard then Mage at 7? >;-)

Apocalypse… prolly because then there’d be a bazillion different, conflicting ideas, and apparently the forum servers are dying today.

Though if the forums were willing to try it, no harm in starting brainstorming for something if they ever decide to switch from vBull to some other forum software. Would be cool.

7 Stars and 10K posts <sigh> I’ll just keep chugging along… :slight_smile:

Given your current post count and your current average of 1.49 posts per day, you will get your 7th star on June 17, 2026…just in case you wanted to order a cake. :smiley:

I like the change from the other version I’d seen where the sidebar was on the left… having it on the right will mean less horizontal scrolling for those with smaller screens, since now you can just scroll vertically to get the most important stuff most of the time.

Still hoping for a removing from the reset.css of the outline: none stuff. That would start the new forums out with so much better usability/accessibility than what it had last I saw… with the least amount of developer work.

Looks OK but franky i prefer this version .

Dumb question , Why not community source this ? Given the huge amount of talent roaring around I’m sure that people would jump to the opportunity . After all brag rights for making the SitePoint forum interface is something anyone would want in it’s portfolio .

Nope, they stop at 7. You get 7 at 10,000 posts. So you still have quite a long way to go SiberianHuskey :slight_smile:

[size=1]See http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forum-support-feedback-11/faq-read-before-you-post-171834.html[/size]

It’s not bad, it seems like this forum is shrinking its self down to a tic-tac, my perspective. Over all good forum, helpful people. I’m still trying to see how many >>> arrows I can achieve under my name for a forum record :slight_smile:

Those SP pips under your name currently stop at six. However if you end-up winning a Cup of some description for example a ‘Member of the Month’ they disappear completely.

Most users ever online was 180
How far we’ve come…

It looks VERY clean, which is sweet. The linchpin is going to be is everything is intuitively organized.

The forum index on the left of the home page currently? That is a plugin that doesn’t exist for vB4 (that I can find) so until we get the chance to write one, I’m afraid we’ll have to live without it.

Thanks for the generally positive feedback everyone. :slight_smile:

Nope, that’s two years before my arrival :slight_smile:

A million times better. Good job.

Yes (just). :slight_smile:

Yup - clearly :smiley:

Anyone remember these days?

Looks clean and consistent with the rest of SitePoint. I kind of like how the forums take up the entire width of the screen now though. But I guess I’ll get used to it. The only other gripe I have is the font-size on the titles, seems like it could be bumped down a bit. Other then that, it looks good and not very much like vB4 so that is a plus. :tup:

Any idea when it’ll be live?