Forum Upgrade : A Sneak Preview

I’m concerned about the apparent absence of a menu column (showing forum sections) in any of your screen examples. Can you say whether any pages will keep this valuable feature? Actually, I wish that it was visible now when viewing a thread in the current design.

I do miss the old SitePoint forum home page style a bit, with all the forums on the side and highlighted threads taking most of the space. However, the design does look tidy and I’m sure we’ll see how well it functions when it goes live.

I’m not too keen on the forum view, as I’m used to it taking up the full browser window width, but I guess I’ll have to get used to it when it comes about. As for the thread view, I like it, it’s easier to read the threads with it being centered in the middle of the browser window. So I’m at a bit of a love / hate with them screen shots but hey, that’s life!

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens! :slight_smile:

The updates are clean and are inline with the rest of the SitePoint site. Initially I was a bit scared on the user-experience factor, but after looking at those screenshots I can see I had nothing to be afraid of.

Nice and clean if you ask me, the only thing I dislike from the shots are the anti-aliased fonts :smiley:

Oh broken promise :slight_smile:

I thought I’d be seeing the new theme by now, where is it ?

Upgrade didn’t happen yet. See post #33.

Looks horrible, just like the new website (contrast between blue and red link colours is not right) and the new news.com.au website throws up

What’s with all the white? White sucks.

Very nice theme! Fits right in to the current main website theme

I know the feeling :lol:

Someone once said to me - it’s better to under promise and over deliver than to over promise and under deliver.

You’re right of course - you can’t tell much from screenshots, but it takes the sting out of the change. I was hoping we’d upgrade today but unfortunately it’s not going to happen. I should stop making promises that I can’t keep!

Yeah definitely can’t base a true opinion on screenshots (don’t ask me why, it is what it is) but I like what I see so far nonetheless.

[OT]Umm
Discussion…Thunderdome
:nono:[/OT]
I love the look of the new upgrade. More important to me is the usability and efficiency, which I can’t judge from screenshots. Looking forward to a test-drive!

That doesn’t really have anything to do with the actual upgrade, though.

We do have an off-topic forum here: General Discussions - SitePoint Forums. And that covers what a Thunderdome forum would be used for.

Nice and clean looking!

My only beef is that SP neglected to introduce a Thunderdome forum. Those were just screenshots, so I still cling to hope…

An update: we’re doing a test run today and all going according to plan will perform the upgrade tomorrow.

definitely love the new look, very clean and easy on the eyes :slight_smile:

Let’s hope it is, though!

It already happened, and we’re discussing it over in this thread :slight_smile:

Thread closed.