Forum Upgrade

Im not a big fan of the new layout as well. Personally I feel the new contrast makes it much harder to read the forum posts, it also seems I need to scroll a lot more now than before which is rather annoying considering the screen resolution. Makes me wonder how much people on a normal resolution need to scroll to read a normal thread.

Another thing I am missing, is the default forum landing page we had previously. I really loved the fact that you had “popular” topics that you guys selected and then shown there, and the left menu with all the forums. It was really annoying to keep scrolling down the list to locate the forums I normally visit far down on the list.

I understand that this is a work in progress, but I do find it rather odd that a forum that is about application/web development does not even seem to have considered usability aspects of the new layout. Hopefully as we move on, things will be updated and changed. In addition to consider usability for the normal visitor, I would also strongly recommend that you review for usability for disabled users as that is a complete mess at the moment.

You have to remember that we haven’t deliberately redesigned anything here (other than the style). This is pretty much out of the box vB 4 (with a couple of plugins). It is definitely a work in progress and I’ll be asking for your feedback shortly - we just need to finish optimising and get things running properly first.

UTC FTW.

You would have loved Zefram’s Why time is difficult talk. Too bad he doesn’t seem to have slides on it anywhere. I thought UTC was one standard. There’s like a bunch of versions of it, and then it depending on how high above the Earth you were :confused:

Actually you’re right and I stand corrected. Thank you.

These damn summer time zones :injured:
I thought we were GMT+2 right now? Madrid and Rome have the same timezone. Or don’t you have summer time over there?

If Guido wakes up on Monday with a brand new and shiny vBulletin version… it means that I will too because my time is +1 GMT, 1 hour less than he does. :slight_smile:

Working nicely now, thanks HAWK :slight_smile:

Finally another guy with lots of Arrows. I’m not alone :slight_smile: I look at it as moving forward aka progressing fast :slight_smile:

To be honest not a fan, it seems like everything is taking up more space and color contrast I think is making everything harder on the eyes.

I admire your optimism :slight_smile:

Does Murphy’s Law ring a bell?

Ah yes, true. Don’t you just love those exeptions on the time zones :smiley:

So it’ll be 2am here. Still lots of time to get it up and running before I wake up.

it’s got PSD and PDT -> GMT

I think PDT is daylight saving time

I think you misread the table. In the table GMT - PST = 8 hrs

Actually, PST is GMT - 8:

Pacific Time Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That makes it 1am local time in the UK

It looks like that converter takes ‘summer time’ into account: PST = GMT - 7, and in that table 16 + 7 = 24?

PST -> GMT conversion

1am in Rome, 4 hours down, should be up and running when I get online :slight_smile:

11pm UTC so midnight local for the UK then!

PST would be GMT-7 so that should be 11pm UTC I believe.

And here in Melbourne it would be 9am Monday morning :slight_smile:

Yeah, I hate it when people quote US time zones as though they mean much to the rest of the world, especially if daylight savings happens to be in effect. UTC FTW.

Oh noes!! the code highlight menu is gone! Now I have to remember BBCode syntax.

I noticed this as well. If the user is online the icon is tiny, too tiny.