Forward / tunnel Tomcat port 8888 requests to whatever is on the VM?

So I have 2 installations of Tomcat, but 1 is on the VM my computer has while the other is your standard installation.

What I would like to do is have all inbound requests from the internet for my standard Tomcat installation act like normal (i.e. - serve web pages, etc.) but have it to where any inbound requests for anything using port 8888 somehow be served with whatever I have on my VM’s Tomcat installation.

Is this possible? What’s it even known as in the networking / server world? Tunneling? Port forwarding? Redirecting?

Any help with this is appreciated.

If I understand your question correctly, you’re looking for port forwarding. This is setup in your modem / router.

What you’d want to do is forward port 8080 to the IP of your normal PC, and 8888 to the IP of your VM (assuming that IP is publicly available on your network).

How this is set up exactly is different from device to device; the manual of your modem / router can tell you how to set up this forwarding.

As for the terminology, Tunneling is when you transfer the data from one port over another port, i.e. connecting to port 80 on a server via an SSH connection.

Computer <—> SSH server <—> Web server

This is useful when you can connect to the server via SSH, but not via Web.

Redirecting is when resource A is requested, but instead of returning resource A tell the requester to go and get resource B instead.

Thanks, Scallio. But what if the VM is on the same machine where at the moment, the only way to access the VM Tomcat instance is by going to the address bar and using 192.168…?

I’m using VMWare Player 3.1 for all this at the moment and use the same VM for my Java project development environment. I have a normal Tomcat install on this same Windows XP machine that I use for just whatever projects I deem fit, but when it comes to the Java stuff, I always use the VM and would like to show people in the same office what I’m working on through HTTP requests to that 192.168… location.

If the other people are in the same office they should (depending on the network topology) be able to use the exact same URL you use.
The 192.168.etc is just the IP of the VM; you can access that from your own PC, but it should be accessible throughout the complete network under that exact same address.
If not, we need to some debugging :slight_smile: