Free books!

Ok folks, so here you have it.
Today marks the official opening of The Golden Post Prize Program.

The Golden Post Prize Program is going to run for the entire month and is designed as an incentive for putting an extra effort into your posts. Those posts may be really well thought out and original questions or really great answers - it doesn’t matter. If it’s good, we’ll reward you.

How Does It Work?
The staff will be cruising the forums on the look out for your Golden Posts. There will be one from each area of the forum (eg Design Your Site, Manage Your Site etc). Every Monday I’ll be announcing the winners from the previous week and linking to their winning posts. (Note that we don’t guarantee a prize for each area - there has to be a deserving post.)

What Can We Win?
Each winner is entitled to the SitePoint book of their choice - either the printed format or the digital pack (PDF, Mobi and ePub) if it is available.

So people - get posting - and make them gold.

Unfortunately, no :). This is the last week, so start posting :tup:

Is the Golden Post Prize Program going to continue for the next month also?

Very nice, will give it a try :wink:

I’ll start by giving you a few pointers. :slight_smile:

A really great post should be based on three criteria.

Meaningful – say something of substance
Relevant – on topic and helpful, not generic advice
New – something that hasn’t already been said in the thread

How you choose to apply those is up to you…

Alright, I made a tut for this occasion :smiley:

OK, this sounds too good to be true. Where’s the small print?

You know, the “Current staff and their relatives are not eligible. Members must have a minimum post count of 500 and have been members for at least 6 months. Former winners are not eligible. Only one prize per member.” type of thing.

You can’t really be saying that any and every member is eligible to win a book simply by making a great post?

Call me crazy, but that’s what I’m saying. :stuck_out_tongue:

(ps Call me crazy and you’re banned)

Hi,

Will this contest apply to the new subforums for Kevin’s Javascript Live course?

Thanks and good day

Steve Swickard

Hi Steve,
Good question. The answer is no, I’m afraid.
I want to encourage you JavaScript Livers to get brave and make your way out into the rest of the forums!

Off Topic:

Oh, I know how this goes. There’s going to be trouble even if someone says that the crazy girl is not crazy :smiley:

Okay just thought I’d ask :wink:

I’ve been reading the various sitepoint forums since last summer and found them to be an excellent source of information for developers.
See you all in the regular forums…

Thanks

Steve

It ain’t that simple I’m sure. And it’s not just about making a great post, you’ll have to make the greatest post of all. Good luck :smiley:

This is a great one and thanks for the great opportunity to be having new books sent to me for new great posts I will be putting up on to the board for others to enjoy and learn from and decide new ways of doing good things.

Hey guys…hows it going? I just wanted to thank you for all of your help. You are a tremendous resource for us web designers/developers.
I follow you guys on your blog and also on facebook and I have learned tremendously from you. If your ever in the NY area let me know…i’ll take you out for some beers…lol

Cheers!!

does posting a tutorial count? or is it limited to responses to a post.

i.e. could i create a tutorial and make that the original post or in response to post?

if so i hope we’ll see lots of user contributed tutorials along with good quality posts and responses.

A quality contribution is a quality contribution. That goes for any type of content, including tutorials. :slight_smile:

Yes, I guess there’s more than some truth to that.

But by my calculations there’s 6 main areas where golden posts might win a book

• Content for Your Site
  • Design Your Site
  • Program Your Site
  • Host Your Site
  • Manage Your Site
  • Community Center

And there’s 4 weeks to the month. So that’s a total of 24 winners!

Still not the best odds for a babbling 1-finger typist like myself, but I don’t have to make the greatest post of all, just one of the greatest 24 posts of all :slight_smile:

:goof:
:smashy:

This seems to have worked well, I have noticed (I only look at the CSS threads) a much (emphasis on much) greater quality of postst delivered in there, an occasional fluff by a few people but nonetheless, this is proving highly effective!