Free hosting site for a portfolio

I’m looking for a webhost that’s free and just barebones features only. I know there’s that other thread that warns against free hosting, but for financial reasons I’m unable to continue my payments at my current host so my website is taken down.

I want to keep an online presence to advertise to employers with a portfolio, so preferably something without ads. The requirements aren’t gonna be steep and I don’t need to support any dynamic content- my last portfolio site was just a HTML/CSS website from scratch. I plan to link programming projects that can be downloaded, but the bandwidth will be offloaded to my Dropbox account where they’ll be stored.

If you use Dropbox to house the files you don’t need a webhost.
This is how I built SimpleFreeWebsite.
PM me and I can share some details that may be helpful for you.

He wants an online presence though so a DropBox won’t help him have a web site. It will only hold files.
For this case, I recommend a shared Linux hosting plan. It will give more up time and better support. You’ll want a strong online presence to show potential clients your work. It would be embarrassing if your site was down at the time of showing.

As a matter of fact, that is not quite true. And there lies the essence of the service I built.
Dropbox provides a PUBLIC folder that can be accessed (publicly).
Granted, it is not a web server and cannot support server-side technologies. But static HTML and client-side Javascript works well.

Whirpool have a forum thread where offers of free hosting are made by hosting companies (but read the T & C’s as sometimes it’s only for the first year.)

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=736399&p=34

Or, if you don’t mind using a sub domain, there are a lot of places you can host for free. Like weebly.com.

Or you can go to my company that gives away free hosting (but you need to have a valid domain name).

http://www.ingenyes.com/free-web-hosting/

This is fully featured and all looked after by Rackspace. See what you think.