Free or low cost image repository?

Hi there everyone!

I’m nothing as grand as a site designer, I just help people out every once in a while and often run into situations where I have to replace a stock or lorum ipsum image in a template. I know enough not to go gallivanting about right-clicking images with impunity. I usually end up finding what I need(happy family today, for instance) but I know there has to be some repository somewhere that offers images up for little or no cost(public domain, etc.) What I find usually are honeypot gateways for Shutterstock affiliates with a couple pictures and then a bazillion links to sign up on SS.

Anybody have any go-to sites? Like I said, my projects are things like helping my brother freshen up his chiropractic site, or my mom-in-law sell a cheesecake, so I’m not expecting top-notch supermodels in an image that I don’t have to pay for. I realize that there’s a reason an image costs $250. I just don’t run in those circles and can use a family of four hanging out at the park on a Wednesday that happened to take a nice pic.

Links or suggestions on search terms welcome.

Thanks for your time!

Have you tried Pixabay? Yes, some of the links there do go to Shutterstock, so you need to be careful which images you choose, but there are a lot of free-to-use images there, too. (The Shutterstock images are watermarked, so it’s quite easy to pick those out, and IIRC, browsing categories only shows free Pixabay images.) I mostly use my own images, but I’ve used a few from here and been pleased with the quality (and choice).

Thanks so much technobear, I am browsing it now. It looks to be of a much higher caliber than that which I was finding.

Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.