Free web editor wanted

Would like to know if anyone is aware of a good free WYSISYG web editor. (Sitepoint threads on this are very old )

As with some of these, Kompozer enables the user to use a split screen so that the html can be worked on when needed.

1 Selecting text in the design view also selects the same area in the HTML view enabling one to to go straight to the relevant area for adjustments and is very helpful in learning about HTML.

2 Kompozer is also extremely good at showing your webpage in design view as it will appear in the browser. One or both of these two features are missing in several otherwise good editors, including Aptana, Amaya and Seamonkey.
Kompozer stopped development years ago.

If you are using an editor that can do 1 & 2 above please let me know. Your input is appreciated.

Please do not suggest a text only editor and please no hate mail from those who hate editors. My part time employer produces his HTML newsletter in publisher (arrgh!) and I want him to learn to use something like Kompozer.
Many thanks,

You hit on pretty much all the major free alternatives. Here’s a couple of links for sites which list a few more possible alternatives:

Dreamweaver | Open Source Alternative - osalt.com

Adobe Dreamweaver Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net