Freelancer website -my name or business name?

I learned all there is to know about web development and now plan to start marketing my services as a freelancer. Kidding about the first part, but --I have a bootstrap-built website to market my ‘services’ and been having fun coming up with a name. I prefer not use my own name ie: AlexCrztkilekjhk.com -freelance web developer, but go the route of say… barefingers.net (taken) or codemixin.com, or something like that.

In terms of networking, does it really matter? since I would have my name on the site anyway? My extended goal is not to create a web design business or firm, so to speak, but to find front end development/design work. Thanks.

You can do business under your real name or a business name. It’s a matter of personal preference (and finding a suitable name and domain name that are not already taken). However, if you are doing business under a name other than your real name, you will need to register a DBA (Doing Business As) with your state. There may be an additional business license required and possible fees for this.

http://www.sba.gov/content/register-your-fictitious-or-doing-business-dba-name

If you are looking for freelancer work, doing business under your real name is a suitable option.

It all depends on what you want to happen if someone decides to sue you for a supposed problem with your work. If you use your own name or a business name then you could potentially lose everything you own if you lose the case. You should instead use a structure such as a company that limits what they can claim to what is owned within the structure.

As said, it’s up to you. Using your own name can be useful if it’s a well known name (mind you, if that’s your real last name, forget it … as no one will be able to type that out! :smiley: ). Still, it’s nice to be able to quote a business name sometimes.

Useful comments all, thanks a lot. Ralph- not my real name, but you picked up on a point; some names aren’t that marketable.

I’m using my a business name; but I’ve changed it so many times haha XP

I am using my own name for my freelance website, alternatively you may choose a name with your business keyword which will get some benefits on seo it does matter which name your choose. all you need is clearly craft services that you are going to offer.

I would prefer a business name, easy to remember and develop it as a brand. Long term one could think of selling the brand along with the business.

i Would prefer using the keywords that I want to use for building SEO. Makes things so much easier whenever i am doing Link buildings

After more than four months, I imagine the OP has made a decision, and there is nothing to be gained by reopening the discussion.

Thread closed.